• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Turning + Acceleration = Bogging

thejms

CEG'er
I posted this thread at the begging of the month:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=1577

So I bought the FSVT fuel pump and installed it this last weekend. I carefully read the How-To posted and installed it without a hitch. I hoped that it would have fixed this problem, but unfortunatly it didnt. After work, again, as I was rounding a corner I felt a familiar jerking or bogging as I accelerated around the corner. As I cleared the corner and the bogging continued I continued to accerlate even harder to see the results. The harder I pushed the more the car seemed to bog down. It got really throaty (if that is a word) also.

I tried to recreate the problem in a large walmart parking lot. With a straight acceleration I had no bogging problems. I was able to recreate it only once or twice while I was making a left hand turn in second gear

I have 3/4 tank a gas, new fuel pump, new fuel filter. Any help is appreciated.

I have the FSVT pump installed in my car. After installing it, ~10k later, the tank was filled with crap again and my problems came back, im unsure if it was the pump failing on me or if it was bad gas...

But, there is a newer fuel pump setup for the returnless cars. The new style setup completely replaces the old setup... A lot of the newer cougars have had/are having this problem. The Cougar got a TSB for certain year cars but unfortunately we didn't even though its the same setup. But anyways, the new setup requires a special tool that cuts the pump lockring completely out of the tank, essentially a big pair of snips. This is a ford only tool, im not sure if you can get it elsewhere or not but thats what I know. The new setup is essentially the Focus fuel pump housing but, The lockring on the top of the tank pushes down the new setup, which is spring loaded to push it to the bottom of the tank. With this, you push down the entire assembly and then put the lockring back on.

If my pump problems come back, I will give this pump a shot. I have a connection at a ford dealer that can get me the tool and if I do end up doing this, I will get more details on the tool, and whehter it's avaliable outside of a stealership.

I don't know that this helps you or not, but I beleive it is a problem with the housing more than anything else. The focus/new contour pump setup is designed much better than the factory one.

I wish I would of taken pictures. When we removed the pump from the tank. We inspected the tank for any debris and found none. I immediately looked at the bottom of the housing to see if the screen was blacked as in the picture but it almost looked new. I mean it was slightly tinted from the fuel. The real mess was when we removed the pump from the houseing. The original CSVT pump that was in it had the fuel "sock" on the bottom of the pump. That was very nasty and dirty. The botton of the housing where the fuel pump sat was also very nasty. So we meticulously cleaned out the housing ensuring that there was no more crap in there. Then we cleaned the sock. As a precautionary measure I took the screen off the bottom of the housing and cleaned that as well.

My father, the one helping me, highly recommended that I did NOT take off the fuel "sock" and since the screen had no sediments or anything accumulated on it that it should be fine as well. We cleaned both the sock and the screen very well. I could see if I had this problem months down the road that maybe that sock could of gotten dirty again, but just a matter of days later?

99Mystique ATX: I know the exact new setup you are talking about. When I went to pick up my FSVT pump from Bill we compared the FSVT and the newer CSVT housing styles side by side.

FWIW, My car still hesitates right when you start it up with the FSVT setup and the tank cleaned. But after a few seconds of running it, it runs and drives great... I'm not really sure what to make of this, you're having similar problems to what I had, but cleaning out the crud seemed to fix my problem...

*Slight Update*

*Slight Update*

I have been paying really close attention to my car since this has been happening. My car seem to be more problematic when the tank is lower. In fact it doesnt even have ANY problems before the tank is lower than 1/2. Earlier I stated that my tank was at 3/4 and was doing this, but I must of been mistaken. Perfect example, my car was just below 1/4 and it was having problems, and they were worsening. It was to the point were my car was bogging down so bad that it in fact died. I sat on the side of the road for about 5-10 minutes wondering what I was going to do, but after it sat it started right up. Later that day I filled my tank and the problem was gone and could not be recreated. Now today, after reaching a little lower than 1/2 tank, I am able to recreate the symptoms.

After speaking with my father, he believes that the tube connecting the fuel pump housing and the top "disk" where the connectons are may have a hole or may have cracked. He said that it may be sucking air and that is causing my problems.

When I was cleaning the pump housing out it didnt seem as if the hose was brittle or rotted in any way, but who knows. We are going to pull it here in a week or so (when I can get back down to AZ). I will let you know it that was indeed that case.

Back