• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Acceleration Problem

thejms

CEG'er
Wow its been awhile since I have been to these forums let along post a question, but I know this is a good community with vast knowledge.

Anyway, I did a few searches and was unable to find a solution to my problem.

Just recently I have been having some very sporatic acceleration problems. A month or so ago I was driving around town when my car started to act up. I was making a normal turn, as I rounded the turn with the car in second gear I began to accelerate at a fairly rapid pace, I wasnt gunning it or anything when my car just all of a sudden started to bog way way down. The harder I throttled it the more it bogged down. If I was to let off the gas the car would begin to sound normal. I tried to shift up and down with no change. Every time I would accelerate rapidly it would do this. So I just pushed in the clutch and let the RPM's settle at idle then put it back in gear and it acted as if nothing happend. It scarred me a little but I though nothing of it because it didnt happen again no matter what I tried to do to recreate the problem.

A month later I was on the highway headed to california, everything was going fine, cruise control on. I started to head up a slight incline, as the incline grew I noticed my car loosing steam. This has never happened before. I turned off cruise control and tried to accelerate when that problem reared its ugly head again. Everytime I tried to give it gas it just felt like I was hitting the break and the motor sounded like it was under a heavy load. It went on for awhile so I pulled off turned off my car. I turned around, thinking it was a bust and wasnt going to go any further, but my car had decided it was ok again. I made a 4 state trip back and forth with no hic-ups.

And now again today, a case of deja vu. I was making a corner and had the first problem.

My father is a certified master ASE certified mechanic. He lives about 3 hours away, but both times I have brought the problem to him we were unable to recreate the problem and the car ran great.

I thought it might have been bad gas so I fill at different stations now. I cleaned my MAF. I cleaned my filter. Replaced my fuel filter, again. I have tried to run fuel system cleaner. It was suggested that it might be a fuel pump going bad, but my father said it wouldnt be this far and between occurances for it make such drastic performace drops. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I guess I will just replace the fuel pump and hope for the best.
You should also remove the fuel sock/screen as that is most probably the cause of the pump going bad.

Back