• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford SVT Sedan? Fusion Info

Moose

CEG'er
I have been waiting for the day to replace my CSVT with a ford product deemed worthy. I've thought about the volvo s60 r, and the mazdaspeed 6 but after the fusion came out and there were early reports about a possible fusion and edge svt I was stoked. A possible 6 speed awd 3.5 in the hands of SVT, wow! So.... after waiting and trying to find new info frequently I called SVT. I spoke to one of the engineers and he was super cool. He basically said that the only vehicle they have on the table is the shelby mustang and that the contract ends at the end of this year. Becuase of downsizing he said there would probably never be more than one project at a time. If they did not renew a contract with shelby it is very likely the next project could be a sedan. He said that the lightning fans are really pushing for a new one, but due to the weight of the new f150's and the regular cab no longer being available that they would have to produce almost 700 hp out of the 5.4 for it to compete with the lightings of old, and that is probably out of the question due to the fact that it might cause durability issues in the f150 and ford will not allow that to happen and tarnish the name. He ended saying that they are not allowed to talk about future projects but to hang in there. So, that being said I was at least a little excited, I guess if there is a new contract with shelby put in place for 08-09 we'll still be waiting. SO, those of you that are in my boat, at leas there is some hope!

You know SVT was shut down by Ford, right? At best there may be a model or two that has an SVT trim level in the future, but there is no longer an SVT division.

I have been waiting for the day to replace my CSVT with a ford product deemed worthy. I've thought about the volvo s60 r, and the mazdaspeed 6 but after the fusion came out and there were early reports about a possible fusion and edge svt I was stoked. A possible 6 speed awd 3.5 in the hands of SVT, wow! So.... after waiting and trying to find new info frequently I called SVT. I spoke to one of the engineers and he was super cool. He basically said that the only vehicle they have on the table is the shelby mustang and that the contract ends at the end of this year. Becuase of downsizing he said there would probably never be more than one project at a time. If they did not renew a contract with shelby it is very likely the next project could be a sedan. He said that the lightning fans are really pushing for a new one, but due to the weight of the new f150's and the regular cab no longer being available that they would have to produce almost 700 hp out of the 5.4 for it to compete with the lightings of old, and that is probably out of the question due to the fact that it might cause durability issues in the f150 and ford will not allow that to happen and tarnish the name. He ended saying that they are not allowed to talk about future projects but to hang in there. So, that being said I was at least a little excited, I guess if there is a new contract with shelby put in place for 08-09 we'll still be waiting. SO, those of you that are in my boat, at leas there is some hope!

I have spoken to a couple of ford SVT engineers, they supposedly have no idea where all of this press is coming from, SVT supposedly doesnt have any plans for an SVT Fusion.

However, according to my friend who works at a Ford Dealership, there WILL be an AWD 3.0L Fusion that is a Stick shift. Supposedly to hit the market in late 08.

Thats the one I am waiting for.

You know SVT was shut down by Ford, right? At best there may be a model or two that has an SVT trim level in the future, but there is no longer an SVT division.

You are incorrect. There was talk about shutting down SVT and edmunds.com even reported that it happpend, but it didn't. They just downsized and sent the employees to other parts of ford. The SVT division soley makes the shelby GT right now, and as I stated the contract is up this year.

from what ive read from others who KNOW people who still work in SVT, they are still around. they said there will be two platforms being done at the same time. the GT500, and a new truck that has yet to had any real info revealed on it just yet, other than it will supposedly come with the new Hurricane motor.

However, according to my friend who works at a Ford Dealership, there WILL be an AWD 3.0L Fusion that is a Stick shift. Supposedly to hit the market in late 08.

Thats the one I am waiting for.

That'll be cool. Trouble is they'll probably want 28K for it.

That'll be cool. Trouble is they'll probably want 28K for it.

Dont be so sure about that. The top model fusion right now starts at 24440.

Ford is going to set its prices to be competitive of Toyota and Honda's midsizes, I would expect it to hover around the 25K range.

"There currently are 74 full-time members of the SVT team. That might sound like a lot, given the size of the lineup, but it is a dramatic downsizing from about 200 in 2005 when the unit was done with the GT500 and back on track making performance variants of existing models."

From this article from car and driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/12770/ford-svt-operation.html

Wow, that's a complete 180 from what we heard from Ford, and from CEGers who worked for SVT. For once I'm very glad to be mistaken.

Even if it was in the works now, its probably like 3-4 years from actually being in production.. and by then the fusion is going to be an old ugly car.

hope it is going to look 100 times better than the current taurus:crazy:

I saw an Autoweek review of the new Taurus, and it's pretty decent looking. It's got the 3-bar chrome grill (first it's ovals, now chrome bars, what's next Ford?), 17" or optional 18" wheels, a nice interior, and a ~250HP Duratec. Of course no manual transmission.

Dont be so sure about that. The top model fusion right now starts at 24440.

Ford is going to set its prices to be competitive of Toyota and Honda's midsizes, I would expect it to hover around the 25K range.

If the current top Fusion is 24K, I'll revise my estimate to 29K. :( Either way more than I'll pay, but I might pick up a used one eventually.

If the current top Fusion is 24K, I'll revise my estimate to 29K. :( Either way more than I'll pay, but I might pick up a used one eventually.
You probably wouldn't have purchased a SVTC new either I guess. 29K is what, ~7% more than the SVTC was new? You aren't making 7% more money all these years later? Granted, it does seem like a lot of money for a FWD/AWD sedan from an AMERICAN company but you can't expect the prices to be static when there are advances in technology to pay for. Plus there's still the economic implications to deal with too such as inflation, etc.
Karl

You probably wouldn't have purchased a SVTC new either I guess. 29K is what, ~7% more than the SVTC was new?

No, I would not pay that. That's just me, new cars just aren't worth the expense. I bought my Contour (non-SVT) when it was a year old with 9,000 miles on it for $12,000.

"There currently are 74 full-time members of the SVT team. That might sound like a lot, given the size of the lineup, but it is a dramatic downsizing from about 200 in 2005 when the unit was done with the GT500 and back on track making performance variants of existing models."

From this article from car and driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/dailyautoinsider/12770/ford-svt-operation.html

Man I pray they get back on track. I would have bought the SVT sportrac that was rumored to come out if it were available.

Right now I'm okay with the Mazdaspeed3 as it is a good little car and fun and much cheaper than the Volvo. However, I regret getting rid of my Volvo S40 for it. The volvo was AWD and fast but the 3 is faster once you hit 3rd gear and it corners harder but has a pretty rough ride if the road is rough,. and too much road noise. Everything else is great about it.
Of course the Vovlo s40 was a great little factory handler with a good ride but it wasn't a track car like the speed3.

I say this because SVT made cars that were good all around on the track and on the highway. The CSVT, the FSVT, the Lightning. Those vehicles were all still comfortable to stick people in and have a good time with. Quality was good for the most part and they were great bang for the buck. The only company I think would do it better is BMW maybe and only because they charge an arm and a leg for them.

I haven't bought another actual Ford since my CSVT was new, partly because by the time I was ready for a new car, there was no new offering from SVT and the Ford lineup was like 90% trucks with some boring as car offerings in there. I mean look at the styling of the last 5 years...they suck.
Even the fusion is bordeline to me but if they were to actually spice up the exterior and interior, ala SVT style I might be on it again. :D

PLEASE SVT, don't let me down! :eek:

Back