• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New PA law banning cell phone use while driving

xtascox

Hard-core CEG'er
Those of us in PA should be aware that as of November 10, 2007 it will be against the law to operate a motor vehicle while using a mobile phone. See the attached PDF for details. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case you didn't!

Attachments

• PA Cell Ban.pdf
    62.5 KB · Views: 0
Thats exactly what I feel. I can't tell you how many times I've almost gotten hit because of people on they're phones, especially texting... UGH:mad:

It needed to happen much sooner, IMO.
So many people running red lights, stop signs and plain old not paying attention while on the phone.

I agree, way to many stupid people out there doing this. I cant count the amount of times ive almost got hit because of this, and ive only been driving for not even 2 years. I very very rarely talk on the phone and drive, to much of a pain when driving stick. Hell i very rarely use my phone.

I'm fine with that law. I do use my phone while driving, so at least they allow handsfree use. (Now to find my Bluetooth headphone charger, I haven't used the headset in such a long time..)

Its been a law for a few years now in NY. it seemed like BS at first but then you realise how bad people drive when on cell phones... the only thing that pisses me off about it is every cop i see is on the phone:mad:

In NY the police have an exemption written into the law.

What drives me nuts about these laws is that they should all be reduced into one category. Distracted driving. That way if a cop sees someone driving erratically because they're not paying attention for whatever reason, the cop can do something about it, and if someone has the skill to talk on a cell and drive they get left alone.

Lmao...looks like I won't be calling Christine anytime soon since it's usually while driving to Wal*Mart or work. :laugh:

you guys might want to get the whole document on the new law ... in CT when the cell phone ban went into effect there was alot more to it then cell phones ... basically you can't do anything in the car but drive. everyone focus on the cell phone part of the law but no one else really caught on that it was about just about anything done in the car other then driving.

example, on the radio I heard a caller say he got a fine for eating while driving, it was after all part of the cell phone law ... I really wish they would enforce it on smokers and then uphold the littering fines when they throw buts out the window :mad:

Its been a law for a few years now in NY. it seemed like BS at first but then you realise how bad people drive when on cell phones... the only thing that pisses me off about it is every cop i see is on the phone:mad:

Check out the PDF attached to the first post, it gives a little more information and mentions emergency workers, etc.

just an fyi...on the new Wed. night local news, channel CBS, they reported that this was a false rumor...not sure of the origin of the pdf, but it started as an email...

I got the PDF about it from Penn State. I did some research and found there was a hoax going around saying the law is ALREADY in effect which of course it is not. But from my short research I think it would be safe to believe that November 10, 2007 is the effective date for the law.

*EDIT* I am going to talk to my neighbor who is a PA state trooper and ask him whats up. The more and more I research this the more and more it becomes 50/50.

Last edited:
...I really wish they would enforce it on smokers

Smoking while driving is not dangerous. Unless you drop the cigarette in your crotch. Then it can cause excitement.

Ideally, I don't feel this cell phone legislation should be necessary, because common sense should prevail -- you shouldn't be trundling about on the phone. There's no significant need to be on the phone. Pull into the parking lot at the Tigermart or the Conoco and make the call. The erosion of accountability in our society, along with many other factors, related and unrelated, has taken, and is taking, a toll on liberty, as people enact laws to do what should happen naturally.

I think it's an excellent idea, is it really hard to wait until you're done driving to call someone or to pull over? Kinda makes me laugh though 'cause yesterday in the horrible driving conditions (I was sure I was gonna die, pouring like hurricane conditions, couldn't see anyones taillights if they were any more than 5 feet away, those that had them on :mad:) and all of a sudden I look over when it started to clear up and see a cop car, what's he doing in that car? Oh yeah, talking on a cell phone. I just shook my head and continued to do 5 under the speed limit.

I got the PDF about it from Penn State. I did some research and found there was a hoax going around saying the law is ALREADY in effect which of course it is not. But from my short research I think it would be safe to believe that November 10, 2007 is the effective date for the law.

*EDIT* I am going to talk to my neighbor who is a PA state trooper and ask him whats up. The more and more I research this the more and more it becomes 50/50.

the rumor was that it was starting November 10th...don't believe it...I'm sure at some point there will be a law like this, but not November 10th...sorry. :)

Do a search on google and you'll find it...http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21211677/

Last edited:
Back