• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

a very general turbo question.....

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
why hasnt anybody (that i know of) tried putting a turbo "remote" mounted where the y pipe meets together? it'd be just above the oil pan so it would drain back, and you could clock the turbo and face the compressor outlet toward the front of the car for a FMIC. i just drew it up in the bathroom (lol) and it would be easy! yes of course there would be more piping on the intake side, but less on teh exhaust side. it would also make less tight bends. so why not? yes, spool times are slower. any other reasons?

and if i were to say....do this....... what turbo would i want to buy? i'm assuming a T3/T4 of some sort. it'd be going on a 2.5L

why hasnt anybody (that i know of) tried putting a turbo "remote" mounted where the y pipe meets together? it'd be just above the oil pan so it would drain back, and you could clock the turbo and face the compressor outlet toward the front of the car for a FMIC. i just drew it up in the bathroom (lol) and it would be easy! yes of course there would be more piping on the intake side, but less on teh exhaust side. it would also make less tight bends. so why not? yes, spool times are slower. any other reasons?
Do it, document it, then come back and reassess just how "easy" it is :nonono:

it would be easy. and i am going to do it. and i might document it, but probably just send you a picture and tell you to figure it out for yourself, lol.

oh wow tourige lets pull out these cards again..... i already make more power than you with a 100 shot, and honestly, 10lbs of boost and a 50 shot is MILD. keep playin that hand buddy, but you better come up with a better dyno sheet or somethin......

I keep hearing you brag and gloat about your power.. There are plenty of people on here that make as much, more, or WAY more than you.

The difference is that I haven't seen them repeatedly make SURE that EVERYONE knows it. Be happy with what YOU have, and if you have a love for the PLATFORM and not YOUR CAR, help others acheive it, too.

no im really not trying to gloat about my "power" i'm just pointing out that the guy that is making fun of me would get beat. sorry, but i am into cars because i am competitive. if you want to tell me waht to do, you'd better be faster.

Cool... If you're not trying to gloat, then that's great! It just, sometimes, seems like you were. Misinterpretation or something, I am sure. Keep up the care for your car.

Its my job. Both on here, and in life. Nothing less should be expected of anyone, really, but thank you.

Ground clearance would SUCK.
Turbo size (physical) would be very limited because of ground clearance.
You would basically be driving the turbo with just the rear bank. That would make the cylinders very unbalanced. (i.e. tuning would suck!)
You would have to build a pressurized oil system for the turbo.
Water splashing on the hot turbo is not good for longevity.
Good luck routing an intake pipe from that location!!!

You would be much better off doing a rear turbo setup. Much more room and you could build a nice splash/heatshield.

wish me luck! it's basically planned out. one pipe would be low, from the outlet to the TB. not that bad though. the turbo wouldnt be that bad since it's going up where the cat used to be, essentially. i'll post pics. i'm making the Y pipe and mocking it up on my other engine on the stand this weekend. i'll get pics of that up ASAP.

So whats this now? Your going to make your own y-pipe? I thought you said you were going to pick one up at the junkyard. Either way let me know when you want to get started and I'll be over to help you.

im only gonna use the ball end with the flange off the y pipe. the rest is gonna be custom i believe. i wanna get the piping situated a little bit better. i think i am going to run the turbo toward the drivers side more instead of what we were talking about before, because i want to run the piping straight out, up, and into the intercooler. plus that leaves the exhaust end of the turbo easier to just put one 90 degree bend back to the stock exhaust location. it's a simple setup. the only thing is the outlet piping is going to be sitting a little bit low. it's not lower than the plastic airdam, but it'll be lower than the oil pan. you'll see when you bring me those manifolds :D

if i made 10,000 HP with a contour everyone would still call me a tool. you can save it, ive already been told that by everyone. i really dont care about this site anymore, for me it's beginning to be a place to get parts and that's about it. wish me luck on my turbo setup, thanks for any info that you folks could share

if i made 10,000 HP with a contour everyone would still call me a tool. you can save it, ive already been told that by everyone. i really dont care about this site anymore, for me it's beginning to be a place to get parts and that's about it. wish me luck on my turbo setup, thanks for any info that you folks could share

Maybe if every post you made wasent a complete joke than people would actually take you seriously.

Just a hint.

Maybe if every post you made wasent a complete joke than people would actually take you seriously.

Just a hint.

Its not even so much that. Its presenting an idea, getting responses that you don't like, then responding with how much power your car makes. It happens in most your posts! That is when people start "knocking" on you Tricker. Like I said in my last post, power isnt knowledge. I have a 3l and make more power than say, someone with just an intake and exhaust on their 2.5. But that doesn't mean i know more about ANYTHING than they do. Just stop bringing up "i make more power than you" and you'll get a lot more respect.

Good luck with your turbo project. I hope for your sake it works out to your expectations. I agree with what Demon said about cleanances though, there in't a lot of space under the car near the y-pipe at all. I'd measure it all out and see how much space you have to work with before buying anything...

Last edited:
Back