• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

carpet shampooing

Turtle Wax Power Out works very well. Five bucks is the cost of admission.

I just used 2 cans of the Turtle Wax in my car - did WONDERS to my carpet. I suggest you get a coarse brush, not the **** one they give you on the can. Apply, wait, scrub, re-apply, scrub, blot out with damp towel, wait, vacuum - band-aid bloody knuckles :laugh:

little green clean machine stuff works wonders....I just wish mine was able to be plugged in, the battary lasts for 3 min before it dies.

what i did was a side by side comparison with the little green machine and the turtle wax power out. i sprayed both on the floor mat and scrubbed with a brush. the used a shop vac to suck up the junk. the bissel side was cleaner then the power out.

my favorite shampoo at this time is Rug DR. shampoo not the machine but just the cleaner.

Woolite diluted 10:1 + scrub brush + wet/dry vac works wonder. I have a Bissell Green Machine (the big extractor) and it recently died on me. It couldn't have died at a worst time because I had to detail an extended Chevy Suburban the next w/n! I had to go at it by hand, which took a little longer, but the owner said the interior looked like new when I was done! Now that I have a new Green Machine, I hit the heavy areas w/ Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner, scrub with a brush, and then go over that w/ the shampooer which contains the Bissell soap.

The Rug Dr. got my carpet clean, but not that clean. Neither did Woolite. What I did was took the seats and trim out, and pulled the whole carpet out. Then I put it on the driveway, and scrubbed the hell out of it w/ a hose and laundry detergent. Rinsed it really good for about an hour, then hung it on an outside door overnight to dry. That's the only way you going to get it REALLY clean.

Since I don't like to get the carpets and such too wet, I use my Kirby foam shampooer (suds gun attachment) and a scrub brush. I also have used my Hoover steam cleaner on the mats.

Just a note on the linked method. Since Woolite is a detergent rather than a soap, the suds should not matter for cleaning.

Last edited:
I have a Bissel steam cleaner that I use on the floor mats and carpet. I haven't actually had to clean the carpet on my 98 though. I make it a habit of never getting that dirty or spilling anything.

The carpet on my 00 I did steam clean when I got it. It had a water leak in the trunk which caused water to run into the interior. It took care of all that plus some major stains from spilled drinks. Looks brand new again.

Back