• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Who's done their suspensions?

I still have to get around to ordering the parts (procrastination). I talked to my shop teacher. and he said we could replace them in there, but I feel more confident with people who have already changed them. How long of a job is it?

Ua shop's spring compressor(bench mounted type) saved me a ton of hassle, even though that adds time driving somewhere, but its not time that i'd include in the install time because its easy and not part of actually working on the suspension.

No it doesn't...I'm saying i can swap each corner in under 45minutes.

ya I can definitely agree with that... with hand tools... although if your suspension hasnt been removed/reassembled 10 times in the past year that that quoted time will quickly bloat.

DO IT! - I will bring popcorn and watch you. 3hrs or less. DO IT!
-jack car up
-put stands under
-loosen/remove lug nuts
-remove/remove 4 wheels
-remove calipers and rotors(optional)
-loosen/remove pinch bolts, top bolts and top nut for rear, top nut for fronts.
-remove 4 struts
-compress springs
-loosen/remove top retaining nut on strut assemblys
-dissasemble strut assemblys
**Then to everything in reverse while using proper tq ratings**

No it doesn't...I'm saying i can swap each corner in under 45minutes.

I am sure you can swap each corner in under 45 minutes, you forgot about the rest of the operation.

Whenever you're ready Joe....i don't get why you're having such a hard time believeing it....do you have any idea how many suspension swaps i've done? :shrug: Seriously, it's not that hard.

do you have any idea how many suspension swaps i've done? :shrug: Seriously, it's not that hard.

I remember a certain '96 SE that had multiple broken springs when you helped do a BAT installation. I won't mention that it took the better part of a day. :laugh:

Last edited:
I just like giving you a hard time :laugh: - didn't say it was hard. Just said it would take them 5 hrs.
Whenever you're ready Joe....i don't get why you're having such a hard time believeing it....do you have any idea how many suspension swaps i've done? :shrug: Seriously, it's not that hard.

Pole sounds like Yoda LOL

BTW -- whens the next freakin meet? I'm down like a clown... perhaps we can have a part out my SVT meet? LOL

Back