• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aiming my headlights

Blast47

Veteran CEG'er
First - I searched... so if you find the answer to my question searching, don't flame - just point.

I recently hightowered my headlights, but when I put them back in, I noticed they were not aligned properly anymore. From going through searches, I derrived using the bubble levellers built in, was useless. I am just not too sure as to how to adjust the headlamps using a wall etc. I know how to make the adjustments, just not sure what they need to be at for optimal viewing (so I don't blind other drivers by being too high, etc)

SO, with all that said - any pointers on how to use a wall to properly line up the lights? (how high/low should they be aimed, what to aim for, etc)

Dude, I'm having the same problem since to put my HID's in....the best luck I had was to get on a road with no traffic and well marked lanes. If you have halogen bulbs I would try to get the light to emitt about 20-30 feet, which is my judgement. I don't know if this will help too much but whatever.

The general aiming guidelines are pretty simple.

1) Pull up to a flat level ground wall
2) measure from the ground to the center of the lenses (low beam) there is a little circle molded to indicate the focal center
3) Measure the same height on the wall and mark it off with tape.
4) find a center reference point (the ford logo on stock mesh is a good starting point.
5) Mark that spot on the wall
6) Measure from that center to the little molded circle on the lense
7) Transfer those measurements to the wall
8) Back your car up from the wall roughly 25-30 feet (staying straight on against the wall!)
9) Measure down 2.5 to 3 inches from the horizontal line you have. Make a new line
10) Turn your lights on and see where they fall. The headlight output has a really funky hotspot that should be used as your center point of reference.
11) line your hotspots up with the vertical indicators you made, and the lower horizontal line

done? should be... drive on the road and see how it feels, if you're getting flashed they are probably too high.

That's what those little dots are?! I was wondering if they were imperfections or something while I was doing the hightowers but they looked like they belonged :confused: . heh.

Seems simple enough, thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated.

Not to completely flame, because you probably didn't find anything on ceg, but you could have google searched. :cool: I know I've found the info on the web somewhere!

Strange that the Haynes manual for my wifes Intrepid has alignment instructions, but the manual for the Contour does not. I think it states the lights should be around 5" lower at 20'. Found the same instructions on an Audi site too.

5" at 20 feet will terminate the beam too soon.

3" at 25 is the euro spec aiming method, and I have found gives the best tradeoff between output and disturbing the peace :cool:

That guide is ok for a quick alignment to get you running... but those bubbles are very inaccurate and shouldn't be used for long-term alignment.

You should tell that to ford then. That PDF is from the shop manuals. I don't have bubbles on my headlights anymore due to the projectors I installed.

You should tell that to ford then. That PDF is from the shop manuals. I don't have bubbles on my headlights anymore due to the projectors I installed.

Just because Ford has it in their manual like that doesnt mean its the best way to get it done. You should see all the steps you can skip or reverse or mix and match in the engine removal section.

If you had bubbles still, you think they would have been able to aim your projectors? nope

LOL. Very true. I agree that manuals aren't always the best way to go. being an aircraft mechanic, there are lots of instances where I can show you that the manufacture is being stupid and that there are easier ways to do a specific job. I was only trying to help. But I do agree that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat.

Yes,

Stock fogs dont aim much though.

The caveat with fogs is that they are already so low to the ground dropping 3" at 25 ft they would be on the ground and you'd get this annoying cutoff visible on the ground. I tend to cheat when aiming projector fogs and go for like an inch drop.

Back