• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing Chain Cover leaking

lunatic

CEG'er
Hello

I have a very minor oil leak on my 99 Contour Duratech 2.5. It's an automatic with 110K on the clock. The mechanic who looked at it said it's the timing chain cover gasket. He even told me not to worry about it because the leak isn't that bad and the cost would be somewhere around $1,200 to repair.

My question is, if the leak gets worse, should I dish out the 1200 to get it repaired or would I be better off just replacing it with another motor...possibly SVT. About how much would it cost for a SVT motor and installation? Also, what all would I have to change to do this...computer, etc?
There aren't any new cars I really like so I'd rather have the Contour repaired for now, afterall everything else is new on it...brakes, suspension, alternater, circuit board, air conditioner, etc.

Thanks

Frank

don't have an opinion on this, but be sure to post in the Cap CEG area. I'm in Annapolis myself and the meets should be starting soon.

Good point but eventually other major parts may begin to leak and it may be best just to replace the motor instead of having everything repaired, but I don't know how much all this would cost and how many things I would have to change if I were to replace it with a SVT motor.

Back