• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pic request: Spec stage 3 clutch

the screeching i get is slightly annoying and i'm tired of people asking "what's wrong with you car?" :mad:

yeah ive noticed that screeching, as soon as i heard it I thought to myself "Stage 3"

ive heard more than just the Stage 3 Clutch make that noise. My stock clutch on my pre98 did it too, but only if you horsed the hell out of it, like shifted into 4th gear doing 15 miles an hour.

That's exactly what i was hoping to find with my searching...thanks. The one i have was scorched, so it's going to take some time to get it working right again, the friction surface of the spec flywheel has bluing in two small spots, it looks the same as the old one he had in th car that frosty bought, it's been heated pretty well by some poor driving...but it's usable.

First, its the pressure plate . . . the flywheel is the part that bolts directly to the crank, and the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel, and the disc sits in between.

Second, the one I posted, that clutch has supposedly ~150 miles on it, and was never even fully broken in, so it is pretty much perfect.

I assure you I can drive as well if not better than you. I can go all day long starting and stopping, slow speed, inclines, all of that. Do I want to constantly pay attention to it? not really. Maybe Im spoiled driving around in a 100% stock 2.8 Audi A4... You dont know smooth until you drive a german car :cool:

maybe you can drive better than me but i managed to make my stock clutch last 241000 miles before one of the springs in the PP gave out. when i pulled it off the clutch disc still had a fair amount of material left on it.

i agree that your spoiled with that german engineering :cool:

AliasJerk said:
iMy stock clutch on my pre98 did it too, but only if you horsed the hell out of it, like shifted into 4th gear doing 15 miles an hour.

i think that we can all agree that AJ just plain cant drive:laugh: :p

First, its the pressure plate . . . the flywheel is the part that bolts directly to the crank, and the pressure plate bolts to the flywheel, and the disc sits in between.

Second, the one I posted, that clutch has supposedly ~150 miles on it, and was never even fully broken in, so it is pretty much perfect.

I know what you posted is the pressure plate. :crazy: Both the pressure plate and FW have heat marks on them...

Funny, but untrue. i found my clutch would make that noise when my dad would drive my car. Which hasn't happened sense. Hes never driven stick on a car without a tach. So basically he will shift every 2 miles an hour, first gear to 10 miles an hour, 2nd gear to 12mph, then 2nd to 4th, because he skips gears.

never has he driven any of my cars since.

maybe you can drive better than me but i managed to make my stock clutch last 241000 miles before one of the springs in the PP gave out. when i pulled it off the clutch disc still had a fair amount of material left on it.

i agree that your spoiled with that german engineering :cool:

Its not hard to make a clutch last 241k when you've only got 48 tq through the flywheel:laugh:

Seriously though, I love the stage 3 in the 3 liter when im beating the piss out of it, I just wish there was some easier driveability out of it at other times :)

Its not hard to make a clutch last 241k when you've only got 48 tq through the flywheel:laugh:
youve got to give it more credit than that. at 235K miles i put it on the dyno and it made 125WHP and WTQ.

Pudmunkie said:
Seriously though, I love the stage 3 in the 3 liter when im beating the piss out of it, :)

cant argue with that. I love my zetec, even more with the turbo :drool:

my contour is faster than your contour :crazy: :D:D:D

youve got to give it more credit than that. at 235K miles i put it on the dyno and it made 125WHP and WTQ.

cant argue with that. I love my zetec, even more with the turbo :drool:

my contour is faster than your contour :crazy: :D:D:D

I dont know, your videos looked about on par with a 3 liter contour... Im just waiting for the rest of my turbo toys, then we can have a pissing match :cool::laugh:

well thats not fair. you have a whole extra liter of displacement AND a bigger turbo.

everyone seems to forget that those videos were NOT at WOT. i need to get some real videos of it at WOT.

well thats not fair. you have a whole extra liter of displacement AND a bigger turbo.

everyone seems to forget that those videos were NOT at WOT. i need to get some real videos of it at WOT.

Im just messing around with you :)

No replacement for displacement :laugh:

should have added ":cool:" to the end. im not complaining about it. like Ray said "there is always someone faster than you"

so Pud may be faster after the turbo but i still have the only turbo zetec contour on the boards (maybe even the whole country :shrug:)

Pudmunkie said:
No replacement for displacement :laugh:
sure there is. its called more boost :laugh:

Last edited:
the 3L's may be small but i read somewhere (a few years ago i think) about cosworths 2.5L V8 race engine. made 800HP on only 8PSI of boost :drool::drool::drool:

Edit: oh an it spun to like 12K RPMS too.

Here's what i pulled out of my parts car with 7k miles on it....not pretty....but salvageable.

100_4293.jpg

100_4294.jpg

100_4295.jpg

100_4291.jpg

Back