• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5 UDP kit fit a 3L?

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
just wondering if a 2.5 udp kit will fit a 3L block, might have an opportunity to get them cheap AFTER i tune my car but the 3L might be different i think, maybe have to go to tcca for the GB.

When I first bought my UDP, it was listed as a part for use with a Duratec 3.0. Plus the crank damper that came off my 3.0 sure looked identical to the ones used on the 2.5's.

id use the udp for the 3l one because its meant to be a dmd pulley opposed to the regular 2.5 one, which is why im geting mine from a 3l delivered to me tommorow with new bolt and washer, remember the bolt can only be used once and should be replaced with the washer :)

the udp is not balanced and in high rpm will short the life of the engine buththe dmd that sell bat inc is a dual damper balanced and in high and low rpm get an harmonic play . i have a udp and only one time i replaced the rod bearings

Theoretically speaking, removing the torsional damper will shorten the life of the crank. However, the key is how long would the motor last w/out 1 vs. how long with 1 (3,000 vs. 2,900 hrs.?). I had a UDP on my first 2.5 for almost 100,000 miles and when I tore the motor down there was no visible damage to either the crank or the mains/rod bearings. Now I did not magnaflux the crank, but the head gasket was leaking so it seems to me other problems will pop up before there will be a failure due to installation of a UDP. I've seen low mileage Tours junked prematurely due to head gasket failures...

Also, 3.0's do not come with DMD's. At least all the 3.0's that I've seen do not.

Quite simply, the choice is yours. Hang a damper on the crank which outweighs the stocker and effectively slows down the motor (but smooths it at very high revs) or hang a lightweight damper on it which quickens the revs and improves mileage (but shortens rebuild intervals).

A personal choice.

the one i brought from fordparts uk over here was for the 3.0 st220 mondeo which is the contour in the states and it is a dmd pulley, its way different from my stock one, its got the rubber on the end of it and is meant to lessen the wear on my engine which is why i brought it so deff the 3.0 L ones here have them :)

I had the local Jag dealer order a damper for the 2.5 X type and it was exactly the same as the regular Contour piece. Seems to me that Jaguar would want to have a smooth drivetrain to reflect their image correctly.

The improvements that Ford has made to minimize NVH on the Duratec have all revolved around mounts and intake resonance. Plus changing the superior rod type shift mechanism for the unreliable, prone-to-wear cable type.

just wondering if a 2.5 udp kit will fit a 3L block, might have an opportunity to get them cheap AFTER i tune my car but the 3L might be different i think, maybe have to go to tcca for the GB.

So Bobby, were you going to install that UDP before or after the new tires? Before or after the compression test? How about before or after you ignored everything anyone had told you? How's that 3L running? 140 on a "race track," huh? Was that "race track" I-95, per chance?

How's that s2000 running?

:confused:

JR

the confrontation is not nescessary at all, and i cant even believe that you would come from another forum just to say that, honestly why are you even in this forum? just to antagonize me????? how old are you JR? .....

PLEASE, just dont bring old memories and stupid things that ive done, ive gotten over them and you should to, christ man just back off.
first of all i got new tires months ago, i had the compression test done and it was fine. i plan on getting my tune in two weeks, i get paid every two weeks and ive already got about $200 saved for it so another check and i will have it, and then i can also dyno it and tune it further at UTI, so aside from eating oil, which using restore helped a bit, thats its only problem. i am also buying a new front left axle, as my other problem, and once i get those taken care of i need new wheels as well.

the UDP concern was because a guy has them that lives a town over and i could get them for a good price.

Last edited:
I don't know Bobby... sounded like some valid questions to me.

You planned many moons ago to get your tune done as soon as possible. Next weekend, I plan on being at a party that will be attended by several swimsuit model/ volleyball players, and getting laid by all of them. At once. Much like your tune, the reality of me waking up next to 3 or 4 swimsuit models who play volleyball will likely fail to materialize.

Shock and awe.

You and I both know damn well that that UDP will find its way on to your SVT long before any of the other necessary work to make it safe and run properly. Like a round, unbent wheel, or an unbent rear lateral link (or control arm? or both?), or that axle, or a tune, or a solution to your oil consumption issues.

Then there's the posting about clocking 140 on a public road in a car that would likely not pass even the most lax safety inspection in the country. If you want to earn a Darwin Award, by all means, feel free. But don't do it around other people and put their lives at risk too. That's just stupid, irresponsible, and liable to open you up to continued flaming.

On JR jumping forums to say hi... generally, it's frowned upon, but I have to admit man, everytime you click Post Reply or New Thread, you're just fanning the flames kid. And make no mistake, I can promise you with almost 100% certainty...

...if you return to TCCA to participate in that UDP group buy, you will be flamed mercilessly. And neither myself nor any of the other moderators will stop it. After the S2000 incident, and you driving your Duratec Taurus like a clown, and now this latest episode...

Man, we rooted for you. We really did. We said, "well, he's young, he'll grow out of it." And we watched and waited and hoped.

It was like watching the Titanic sink man. Just terrible.

At this point, we're all just waiting for the part where the boat snaps in two, and sinks the rest of the way.

Hopefully, you'll suddenly wake up and realize the error of your ways, and work to right the wrongs, and move forward in a more sane, more mature direction with things. At least that's my hope. Unfortunately, I have this unnerving feeling that the reality will involve a bag of popcorn in front of my computer, and some more laughter at this whole debacle.

I would appreciate it greatly if you could prove me wrong. :)

--------
*edit*
To CEG... sorry for this post. Normally, I just let sleeping dogs lie, but this needed to be said, for my sanity if anything else. Also, to be clear... no one recommended that he get a Tour. If he had asked, we would've sent him the way of Honda and been done with it. Unfortunately, he kinda dropped the SVT Tour on us, and while we were a bit elated to see him go, some... a bunch of us knew that somehow, someway he'd be back. And here we are. Good luck.

Last edited:
Back