• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clacking, Ticking noise - oilpan area.

I will use the Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend, Motorcraft FL-2005 Oil Filter, and additive....

...which additive would be the best to use?

STP Blue, STP Red, or Lucas - but there are several type.

Then when I can afford it, I will have the valve clearance checked.
Additives won't automatically adjust your lifters (if that's the problem) just like they won't fix any other problem. Check to see if the lifters need adjusting first and as some other posters have said, additives don't do anything anyway except lighten your wallet.
Karl

Additives won't automatically adjust your lifters (if that's the problem) just like they won't fix any other problem. Check to see if the lifters need adjusting first and as some other posters have said, additives don't do anything anyway except lighten your wallet.
Karl

I went to Autozone to get Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend. The guy told me that since I am already using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil that I can't switch back to conventional or synthetic blend oils because it would cause the oil to gelify and fry the engine.

Is this true?

Last edited:
I went to Autozone to get Motorcraft 5W30 Synthetic Blend. The guy told me that since I am already using Mobil 1 Synthetic oil that I can't swith back to conventional or synthetic blend oils because it would cause the oil to gelify and fry the engine.

Is this true?

Methinks he wants you to spend more money. I used to bring my car to my mechanic to get my oil changed, and I had no idea what kind of oil he put in :shocked:. Since joining CEG this has changed and I now am set to use Valvoline Max Life 5w30 Synthetic Blend. I used it on my last oil change and it runs GREAT. Go with it man, it's the best for these cars...

Back