• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clacking, Ticking noise - oilpan area.

Myrosia

CEG'er
As I wrote in another post, I had my tranny replaced at the dealer with a used one because they cracked the housing when replacing the tranny and engine mounts http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=15816.

Anyways, I started to get this noise which I think is/was coming from the valve cover BUT, today when I started the car and heard that noise fast clack clack and looked at the oil pan. I was able to listen right on the oilpan and can hear it inside going clack clack clack. That noise will decrease but remain consistant now as a light clack clack. Only when sitting like 20 minutes and restart it, you hear it from under the car and again it quites to a light clack or tick.

I have good power in the car and runs well for the most part and no smoke from the exhaust.

It appears that noise began after they installed the tranny or is this a coincidence? I really didn't notice it before. Perhaps the difference with a better performing tranny and the old performing engine, the difference in stress caused something to weaken?

It's one thing after another it seems and I am still waiting for them to get the OEM struts/springs to replace the after market garbage thet installed.

Suggestions?

take it back to them.

I am once again taking it back. Although, my feeling is, they are going to say its coming from the engine and they had nothing to do with the engine.

But, I believe when they installed the tranny, something happened...maybe like I said, the engine is now overcompensating for the new tranny. If that's the case, then they are fully responsible. The dealer broke the housing on the old tranny in the first place. There was nothing wrong with it other than the new TSS they installed before they broke the housing while replacing the tranny mounts. And there was never any noise from my engine before.

Last edited:
At 130K + it very well could be the engine. Unless someone does a good check, it's almost imposible remotelly diagnoise a problem like this.

Thanks for the response.

I don't think you get it. There was never an issue until they installed that tranny. Now I am having this noise. Read this post again and this one...http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=15816

And I don't think you get that it could easily be coincidance (sp). TAKE it to someone, anyone, that knows these cars and have them look at it. Till then hold your horses and don't drive the car. When your car is trying to tell you something (in this cae the noise), you shoud listen and stop driving it.

Aslo instead of asking people to go read different treads, perhaps posting a short sinopsys of the previous related problems/issues woud make it easier for the rest of us to follow.

Sounds like a problem I had when I replaced motor. I didn't support the motor on blocks when I seperated the trans from the motor and bent a thin metal plate between the trans and motor (from resting on the ground). Since I did it myself I just waited for the metal to wear away, took about 6 months but the car is fine now.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ouble&Number=1061834&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

You had a noise from the bottom? It sounds like it's coming from the oil pan and near the catalytic converter. It started after they replaced the tranny and all the mounts. I guess it could be a leak noise perhaps like you suggested or even or a leaky exhaust such as the converters connection or something?

Last edited:
A broken or loose flex plate (connects engine to transmission) makes a loud knock, someone on CEG had that on a Zetec, wish I could remember when.

Last edited:
If they messed up the installation of the flex plate which attaches to both the engine crankshaft and the torque converter.

Yes, they reused my old torque converter. Why would that be an issue?
Like I said, the noise is probably coming from the TQ or the flex plate. Depending on how much they removed and replaced when they did the tranny work, you have some places to look for the noise. If a replacement TQ was installed that would have been the first place to look for the noise since your old one was quiet. I'd still say that something in the installation didn't go right like when they bolted the TQ back to the flex plate. Did they remove the flex plate for any reason? Just trying to get the whole story so that we're not all thrashing about going in the wrong direction.
Karl

It sounds to me like the crankshaft and main bearings. Both my cars are over 130k and one has already went down. The other just started making the noise. So you might want to get that looked at soon. Is it more of a thud than a clack.

It sounds to me like the crankshaft and main bearings. Both my cars are over 130k and one has already went down. The other just started making the noise. So you might want to get that looked at soon. Is it more of a thud than a clack.
Bad rod and crank bearings make a knocking sound - see my lexicon of engine bay noises in another post. R&Ring a transmission shouldn't cause a major engine problem.
Karl

Like I said, the noise is probably coming from the TQ or the flex plate. Depending on how much they removed and replaced when they did the tranny work, you have some places to look for the noise. If a replacement TQ was installed that would have been the first place to look for the noise since your old one was quiet. I'd still say that something in the installation didn't go right like when they bolted the TQ back to the flex plate. Did they remove the flex plate for any reason? Just trying to get the whole story so that we're not all thrashing about going in the wrong direction.
Karl

I don't know if they removed the flex plate.

The story is, I took my car to have the 1-2 bang shift corrected. They noticed the tranny mounts were bad so I had them replaced. During the mount replacement, they cracked the tranny housing. So they replaced it with a used one that has 80,000 miles. Runs great. So, I am not sure what's involved when they removed my old tranny.

They could have left the torque converter bolts loose where they attach to the flexplate, or a loose bolt is in there. You should go back to them, unfortunately.

Bad rod and crank bearings make a knocking sound - see my lexicon of engine bay noises in another post. R&Ring a transmission shouldn't cause a major engine problem.
Karl

hi buddy sorry to be a pain but would u post a link on here where yur post of noises are so that i can read it please, it would really help me out thanks any help appreciated :)

Back