• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Pump connections on "return type"

FavoriteMystaque

Hard-core CEG'er
I am trying to reassemble my fuel pump on my 1998 Mystique, that has the return type pump, 2 plastic snap in 90 degree elbow fittings red and white. After replacing the rusted lock ring:mad: , I have the pump in there fine, but can't decide how far down the 90 degree elbow fittings should go in. There is a ridge on the fittings, should it touch the pump sockets or should it be almost 1/4 inch above them, as it is right now? There appears to be stops about 1 1/32 inch down into the pump. It is not leaking in a short test.

100_0028.jpg

Last edited:
New picture added to above post

New picture added to above post

So experienced CEG'ers can see it, I wish I took a photo first..

From my experience and the photograph, this looks correct.

I would wait a little longer for some more replies or test a bit longer just to be sure though. It has been awhile since I have been under that end of the car.

Last edited:
I just checked out the fuel pump on my 98 Mystique with return style fuel pump and the elbows should be pushed all the way down flush with the pump.

I just checked out the fuel pump on my 98 Mystique with return style fuel pump and the elbows should be pushed all the way down flush with the pump.

Thanks for looking. They are now seated:) I took a look at my sister's Mystique (she was conveniently away today) Vaseline on the parts that go in the pump and a small hammer tap was needed...

Thanks for looking. They are now seated:) I took a look at my sister's Mystique (she was conveniently away today) Vaseline on the parts that go in the pump and a small hammer tap was needed...

A hammer is not necessary. The 2 little tabs need to be pinched in at the same time then you push down on the elbow until its flush. I used needle nose pliers to keep the tabs pinched in.

Pinched and tapped one, other went in with a very hard push. Typical of my car repairs, contrary!

Back