• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Primaries not opening?

SurrealSVT

CEG'er
I just baught my CSVT and I'm experiencing the same symptoms that I did in my PGT when I first had it.

When I'm going WOT or even 1/2-3/4, I'm getting a spike in power when I reach 3500 and 3900 respectively.

My PGT had VRIS and this problem lead to one (the first) VRIS valve not opening.. Is this the same thing? Has anyone experienced this before??

Thanks.

Mike

You are SUPPOSED to be feeling an increase in power.

The Duratec engine is equipped with secondary runners that are closed at all times, EXCEPT when:

above 3900
OR 3250 @WOT

The runners, when closed, decrease the number of chambers that air can travel through (increasing velocity and low end torque)

When open, there is twice as much room to flow and thus velocity slows but volume increases, increasing UPPER END horsepower.

You aren't experiencing any problems.

lol this is actually quite funny. If you dont want that power just remove the imrc box or go get a yugo.

Haha.. funny. But I understand how these intakes work. However, there is a dramatic increase. It feels like its bogging under the posted RPMs. The increase in HP shouldn't be like that, it is supposed to be a subtle climb up the rpms, not like a brake let go finally.

But, hey, thanks for the input.

Mike

Secondaries opening WHEN they're supposed to

Secondaries opening WHEN they're supposed to

Why the attitude? You're new here and asked a pretty lame question. We've been driving these cars for 11ty years and know them inside and out. Why don't you just believe us and laugh it off instead of getting defensive?

I agree, the power gain to some may feel like a sudden boost of power (if your used to driving a civic,lol)

But to those of us who have had our car for years like me (5 1/2 years) its normal and nor a huge increase in power anymore.

No joke... the first time I drove my first SVT, I ran it out in 1st, WOT, and when the secondaries kicked in, it was "strong" enough that I was NOT prepared and my foot left off the gas.. (you don't really prepare your leg/foot muscles to chase a pedal when it surges)

thus, the car slowed, my foot went forward from my weight shifting forwardm, hit the gas pedal, the car lurched, I left the gas pedal again (as my body slid back.. and I looked like a 14 year old girl learning to drive a stick.

The secondaries ARE quite a jump in power. you get used to it, as Ryan said, but the numbers don't lie.. its a rather large jump in power.

No joke... the first time I drove my first SVT, I ran it out in 1st, WOT, and when the secondaries kicked in, it was "strong" enough that I was NOT prepared and my foot left off the gas.. (you don't really prepare your leg/foot muscles to chase a pedal when it surges)

thus, the car slowed, my foot went forward from my weight shifting forwardm, hit the gas pedal, the car lurched, I left the gas pedal again (as my body slid back.. and I looked like a 14 year old girl learning to drive a stick.

The secondaries ARE quite a jump in power. you get used to it, as Ryan said, but the numbers don't lie.. its a rather large jump in power.

They really are, ive only ever owned 4 cylinder cars in my life, and there is a strong defined difference between when the secondaries are open and closed. The first SVT I ever drove blew me away the first time I goosed it. 2nd gear, WOT, hit 3250 RPMs and that tach needle takes right off.

You were interpreting my reply wrong.. There is no attitude; I was laughing it off.
However, I have driving plenty of cars and this is the first with such a boost. I thank you for all replied (with out sarcasm). You learn something new everyday..

Mike

Back