• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

doozy of a dent

millertime86

CEG'er
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4403/contourdentpa4.jpg

okay so i was at this party a few months ago, i was pretty drunk. My car was blocking someone else in, so i had to move it. My friend just got there and was sober and said she could move it for me, i agreed.... she scraped the side of a big SUV's rear bumper, no damage to it, but the contour didnt come out so well. i stumbled out to look at it, told her not to worry about it, no biggie, its just a POS contour.

i recently put a spoiler on the contour, and a fresh wash and wax and realized its a pretty hot lookin car, and now i care about the dent. will i be able to get this dent out by taking off the door panel and pushing/banging it out?

if no, is there any other way i can get it out without spending alot of money??

if you try to bang that out, it'll look like crumpled alumin foil that's been straightened out. you can try to pop it, but i think it's way too big. my advice: call junkyards in your area to find another of your model and color, spend $50 or so and get yourself another door, or even just the hull and spend less.

looks like the metal has been stretched... if thats the case all the PDR (paintless dent repair) work in the world wont help that.

looks like the metal has been stretched... if thats the case all the PDR (paintless dent repair) work in the world wont help that.
We have the paintless dent removal places here and I have seen them do stuff alot worse than that and it come out looking good! It will however prob be cheaper to get a junkyard door though

We have the paintless dent removal places here and I have seen them do stuff alot worse than that and it come out looking good! It will however prob be cheaper to get a junkyard door though

keep in mind, also, that the longer you wait, the more permanent the crease in the metal becomes. dents popped within a couple days have a much higher success rate, but this one's been a couple months, it's pretty permanent. i'd say completely give up on it, or replace it. repairing's not a reasonable option.

um, why no?

i think im gonna do that, prolly the cheapest right?

just the opposite unless you dont care if that panel matches the remainder of the car

You'd be looking at needing a shop to blend that area into the rest of the paint.

pretty damned pricey! Finding a new door at a junkyard would be the best option although that may not match 100% either but it might be close enough that no one but you will notice.

what about filling it in with compound, sand, and paint?
As everyone else said no dont do that. Just go find a door then take your car to a body shop with the camera that scans your paint. they can give you an exact match that factors in the fading etc then get it painted

first, i have no clue where i could find a new door, but if i do, ill have no clue how to put it on, or rig the power windows and locks and all that stuff. bah ill just leave the dent in it, its just a contour, the other side of the car looks really nice, ill just try to park so that people only see the good side ;)

you can find a new door at a salvage yard... just find another Contour the same color and not damaged in that area ;)

The door will unbolt from the car - as far as the harnesses they unclip.. you need to move the boots a bit and you will see exactly how its done. So basically you need 1 complete door (guts and all) and just swapity swap FTW

The easiest, as said above, is to get antoher door a the junkyard and paint it ot match. Shouldn't cost that much to have a shop spray it.

The easiest, as said above, is to get antoher door a the junkyard and paint it ot match. Shouldn't cost that much to have a shop spray it.

ive never seen another contour in this color before. so that option is out. I have the same color paint from when i painted my spoiler, but i dont know if its gonna be the same.

my spoiler looks the same as the rest of the car, but you can feel that its different. the paint seems "soft." like if i wanted to, i could dig my fingernail into it. if you try to dig your fingernail into the door (or any other part of the car) itll just slide. know what i mean? i dont want my one door to feel like its "soft."

is it possible that the spoiler is just a different material and thats why it feels "soft?"

yea but how about the door locks and lights and power windows and stuff, would that be hard?

no, a third grader can figure out the plugs and where they go for one door, they are all shaped differently so they only go one place....

Back