• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Am I getting ripped off?

soph17

New CEG'er
Hey guys, I got a price quote on a new water pump on my 97 Contour V6 duratec..

$650??

Does that sound pricey for a water pump? Of course it was a dealership not a mom and pop repair shop but I figured dealership is the best way to go...

Sounds about right for a dealer, but yes, you are getting ripped off. The dealer is not the best way to go. A reputable local shop is the best way, and usually the best price.

Holy labor!!! The pump is like $70. It really isn't harder than changing spark plugs albeit a little messier with the coolant but you don't have to drain the entire system. Would take a mech. maybe an hour to do. Where are they getting that price? it doesn't take 5 hours at $100 an hour. Talk about a hosing.

Drive it to my house and I'll buy a new metal impelled water pump and charge $100 for the pump and labor! :) Most shops should do it for around $200 though. It doesn't even take an hour.

Jeff

Hey guys, I got a price quote on a new water pump on my 97 Contour V6 duratec..

$650??

Does that sound pricey for a water pump? Of course it was a dealership not a mom and pop repair shop but I figured dealership is the best way to go...

If it matters to anyone, I can get about 3-4 of the Motorcraft water pumps and sell them for like $70 with S&H included. These are a limited supply.

Drive it to my house and I'll buy a new metal impelled water pump and charge $100 for the pump and labor! :) Most shops should do it for around $200 though. It doesn't even take an hour.

Jeff

my guess is if he needs a new waterpump the car might not be able to be driven to your place.

If that price is for all 4, then Please reserve them all for me!!

Do the motorcraft ones that you are selling have metal or improved impellers?

These are the newest revision out by Ford. I have had one on my car for roughly 80K miles and working fine.

Ray said:
If that price is for all 4, then Please reserve them all for me!!

Sorry man, that is $70 each

Now remember the OEM pump is a one piece item which is a sealed unit and it comes with the 2 outlet hoses as part of the package. The aftermarket is just the front half of the pump.

I was told that the water pump is a real SOB to replace, it only takes an hour? I was told it would take 3-4 because the water pump is in the back and you have to get around a lot of engine to get to it...

Oh well, if it's as easy as changing spark plugs I might have some buddies over to help out with it, anyone have a link to a "How-to"?

and thanks for the replys btw, you pretty much saved my ass...

FOR $500 I will come to your house and install it in your driveway where ever you live :)

It's probably easier to change than the spark plugs.
It's near the front of the engine on the battery side. Easy to get to.
I imagine the highest any decent shop would charge would be $300, and that is too much but far better than $650.
Now, a zetec's water pump is a good bit harder to get to, but even it shouldn't be $650.

OP, you know, you could look in the duratec maintenance section and read the 'read first' thread and learn a lot, including how to replace the water pump.

Back