• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Omg I Love My Car!!!!

i believe my .99 cent champion plugs finally $hit the bed after 6 months, or atleast im hoping its that, but i dont get why my cat would be glowing, its not blocked or anything..

Assuming the cat didn't break and its not plugged......(which can happen on even new cats):
Then it usually happens with too much oxygen or air in the exhaust, as in an injector stopped working and one cylinder was just pumping fresh air into the exhaust.
If you had a spark failuer then there would be raw fuel in the exhaust and that usually cools the catalyst down.

However if it was at cruise mode and the fuel was injected it could make it hotter if the fuel was in small amounts.

First thing I'd do is drop the catback and then start the car and see how it runs. If it is still misfiring then you know its the engine. If it runs good then it was probably a broken catalyst and caused the exhaust to backup.

Also with the cat that hot you may want to look into the end with a flashlight and take a peak at it.

Last edited:
I thought unburnt fuel in the cat would cause backfiring(exhaust gases burning up in the exhaust) and that would heat the main cat. Just what i thought it would be.

strange thing today, I went out and started up the car, it ran and idle'd fine (still with the CEL on)..I shut it off, took all my plugs out and they all seemed normal. Then I took it for a drive and it ran fine, I didnt really push it or get on it, just steady cruising going 40. I managed to stop by AZ and get the code scanned, P0352, ignition coil pack...My coil pack is like 5 months old..I guess I should take this to the troubleshooting threads now..

strange thing today, I went out and started up the car, it ran and idle'd fine (still with the CEL on)..I shut it off, took all my plugs out and they all seemed normal. Then I took it for a drive and it ran fine, I didnt really push it or get on it, just steady cruising going 40. I managed to stop by AZ and get the code scanned, P0352, ignition coil pack...My coil pack is like 5 months old..I guess I should take this to the troubleshooting threads now..

On my old tour' my coil pack was brand new and ended up being defective. I got a used Accell one and that cleared my very minor misfire issues right up.

okay I think i found out whats was at faut. All this seemed quite odd to me why everything felt fine today. I went out for a nother test drive, this time driving aggresivly..on first redline, the exact thing happened where the sound changed and I lost power once again. The CEL came on and it started flashing, I was close to home so I slowly got the car back..while the car was still running I was checking all the connections, the engine was shaking really hard. The cat underneath seemed fine, not glowing red. When I went to the coilpack and pressed on the wiring harness that connects to it, the engine popped and went back to idling normally. Shut off the car and took that plug out, come to find out that the orange rubber insulator from the old coilpack was still stuck on the plug thus when I put it in the new coilpack which already had that and I didnt really bother looking, the plug never locked in properly because both pieces were in the way so that made the whole plug springy. After I took one of the pieces out, the plug plugged in smoothly and locked right in, went for another test drive redlining the car and all and nothin happened, although the CEL is still on, i think that will go away sooner or later..hopefully this was it..

It was a sad sight seeing your car getting hooked up to the tow.
I'm happy to hear that everything is all fixed. :)

who tought you people about engines? LOL so fuel is burning in the cat making it turn red? PLEASE people. anybody that knows basic engine theory knows that what makes exhaust gasses hot is a LEAN BURNING ENGINE. now dumping fuel into clogged precats or a clogged cat would make it backfire. if the car wasnt burning fuel and it was pumped into the exhaust it sure wouldnt burn there. sounds to me you may have electrical problems. check the plugs and wires, check the ecu wires, look for burnt wires. your car is #9 which means it's probably got a junk wiring harness unless you've fixed that already.

i already stated what the problem was..easy fix thankfully..I have no pre-cats, i have headers with a 5 month old magnaflow high flow cat..

Back