• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Warmonger brake info/install thread

To fit loosely mine took a lot more than a couple min. per side (if it matters they were the rotors Stazi supplies, Autospecialty I think?). However, with no grinding they are very very close (on the outside edge) to the same size as the rear hub.

Took me about a hour per side....using a drum sander and a grinding stone.

This is with OEM rotors....is there some trick that I missed?

To fit loosely mine took a lot more than a couple min. per side (if it matters they were the rotors Stazi supplies, Autospecialty I think?). However, with no grinding they are very very close (on the outside edge) to the same size as the rear hub.

Yes, I bought some from Stazi as well and they take more work than the OEM rotors. :shocked:
They are tighter in the hub than the OEM ones are. The OEM ones took a few minutes per side the autospecialty rotors took like 15min per side.

BTW, How are the brakes now that you have had them on a week or so?

Still going strong. After I reworked that one rear caliper bracket Ive had 0 issues, and they still put a smile on my face, especially at high speed stops. My only complaint is pedal feel, but that isnt the brakes fault. I need some stainless lines and non Syntech fluid.

I just finished the driver's side front brake. Install went smooth, and was easy with a dremel, hand tools, and rat tail file. The hardest part was getting that caliper retaining spring back on. After I finish installing the passenger side tomorrow I will say a short prayer, hope everything is installed right, and take it for a test drive.

E0 front caliper clearance

E0 front caliper clearance

Here is a photo of what I needed to do to get clearance so that both caliper slide pins could be installed. The bright spot shows the grinding needed to keep the caliper from hitting the bracket.

100_1012.jpg

Last edited:
Jim Im wondering if you got an earlier version of the bracket than what when into production. I know you posted pics of your setup close to production but I dont know if any changes were made between the time yours were made and the rest were made from the masses. My bracket had plenty of clearance for the caliper, no grinding required (on that piece).

I installed the pre-production brackets in the prototype stage. Corrections were made. I then received a single bracket for a trial fit and found this same area needed major trimming. That improvement was made for the production brackets. When the rear production brackets came, I received a production front bracket so I would not have the pre-production bracket on the car that had badly elongated holes to make it fit.

It is the production bracket that you see in the photo.

Yours is an E1, it probably has the late calipers.

Anyway, I'm only cautioning those that have an E0 that further trimming may be needed.

The brakes are great. It was worth all the hassles to help it become a reality. I'm anxious to get the rears done.

By the way, you can see the witness mark on the caliper where it was hitting.

Last edited:
I actually have the earlier, or less popular, big brake pad brakes. My car is a miss match of E0 and E1 parts. I must have been right in the middle of the changes Ford made.

:cool:
It seems like you experts have this stuff firmly under your control. I've only got about four more sets to ship and this thing will be done for me (thank god) and all we will need to do is help others through any issues that come up.

I just finished the driver's side front brake. Install went smooth, and was easy with a dremel, hand tools, and rat tail file. The hardest part was getting that caliper retaining spring back on. After I finish installing the passenger side tomorrow I will say a short prayer, hope everything is installed right, and take it for a test drive.

I finished the pass side this morning, took the car for a test drive, and got some grinding. I tore everything apart and had to dremel away some more material on the front most part of the caliper brackets. Everything seems fine now. I will give updates on how it feels as I drive them more.

What is it with everyone and having to take it all back appart and grind some more. I am just glad I got it right the first time!

I would rather have to grind a second time than take too much off the first time. I play things rather cautiously. It is much easier to do the second time around. The regrinding only took me 1/2 for both sides. Most of that time was spent grinding.

Okay, I examined Kremits front brakes and they are on good with no issues.
His car brakes beautifull and straight.
THe pulling he felt was because he was finally activating his ABS system. :D
Seems one tire is breaking loose before the other on very hard stops and the abs kicks in, but right before it does the car has a slight jerk as one wheel grps better.
I think I told him its his left front, but actually the right front must be breaking traction before the left. The ABS modulates and keeps the car tracking straight.

Anyway, the only solution for this is more TIRE rubber! :cool:

That's not the first meeting they've had.. We all met up, not too long ago, too. Ross is a stand-up guy. Period. He takes a lot of crap from a lot of people and takes it well.

Tom, on the other hand...

:nonono:

:D :D :D :D

Alright so I haven't been able to do my rears yet because my passenger side is so stripped out. Bill Jenkins has been trying to get the bolt that holds the caliper to the bracket, but Ford discontinued it, and he can't locate it at any dealers. One guy he talked to said it was a start style bolt and that a hardware store might have them. I'm heading there now, but I was wondering if anyone has one or knows where I might be able to get one?

Thanks

Back