• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New player in my 99

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
Has anyone heard of a Pyle? I just installed one in my 99 tour since it is single din and has everything..... AM/FM/CD/Cass.
Pics in various light. Not overly fond of the silver but it works and was under $170.
Pyle CD 2.jpg

Pyle CD 3r.jpg

Pyle CD 4r.jpg

Comments please.

Thanks,
AF

nope, but if you like and it sounds good then thats the only thing that matter.

nope, but if you like and it sounds good then thats the only thing that matter.
I'm old, I listen to country and gospel, now how good does it really half to play :laugh:

It's kinda hard to see what the headunit looks like. You should have taken some closer shots.
I agree when I looked at these I knew I had to take at least one more. Just didn't have good lighting.:shrug:

yeah... isnt that an ebay brand?
I don't know I got it locally at a little car stereo place that has been around several years. It is the only single din player that does it all, that I have found.

Thanks,
AF

For you noobs that don't know how to use the internet yet
PLCDCS90.jpg

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=&cat1=Car Audio&cat2=CD Players&model=PLCDCS90

Pyle has been around for years, It is NOT an ebay brand. I put it along the lines of Dual and Jensen as far as their car audio goes but they make all kinds of stuff.

Last edited:
For you noobs that don't know how to use the internet yet
PLCDCS90.jpg

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?brand=&cat1=Car%20Audio&cat2=CD%20Players&model=PLCDCS90

Pyle has been around for years, It is NOT an ebay brand. I put it along the lines of Dual and Jensen as far as their car audio goes but they make all kinds of stuff.

Thanks for posting the pic, So then would you say it's a middle of the road brand?

I just wanted something that would do what I needed, (i have a bunch of old radio programs on cassette) and not be so fancy that some meth-head is going to break-in and steal it, cuz then I'd have to shoot the jackass and well things go down hill pretty quick from there....... :nonono: head shots with hollow points are always so messy to clean up... that is what the dog leaves.... and I really don't want him eating tainted meat... :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm old, I listen to country and gospel, now how good does it really half to play :laugh:

For those styles i would actually prefer an older and maybe even a lower quality receiver, my step dad has an old home setreo reciver down stairs it sounds great with country and the like. But, seeing as i don't listen to those styles very often i forked out big bucks for mine. :nonono:

Once my son was home on leave from the Marines and was driving around my old 79 GMC 4x4. He thought it would be nice to put in a kenwood and some as he put it "Decent" speakers... I told him no, since I didn't need to have that fancy stuff for what I'd do with it :laugh: Besides once I had this neat digital tach and some bone-head broke in and stole it. Just took it off the dash and cut the wires... well that made it useless to start with, but the best part was there were several parts of the numbers burned out.....but having had it for a long time I knew what it said so I kinda didn't mind..... well this bone-head left a really nice pair of leather gloves sitting on the seat, and it was winter..... so one has to sit back and ask just who got the best part of that deal anyway ... :laugh:

I think I remember pyle was a speaker brand for many years, but what caught my was the faux wood grain. It looks good.

Just a quick 2cents, the head unit is just the beginning. Matching the speakers (power Ohms) with the head or amps is what makes a system rock or not. And more power is not the answer, As just with a home stereo system you need to have right speakers that work well with rest of the system.

I'm big on clarity no matter what type of music that I'm listening to. My taste run from Gospel, Jazz, Old R&B up to todays Hip Hop. And the key is the it all can sound good if the system is setup right. I love to hear the violins in a Earth Wind & Fire song, just as much as the hard hitting bass in Drop it like it hot!

what caught my was the faux wood grain. It looks good.
FYI - That wood grain bezel is from a 99 Mystique. It will fit 98-00 Tours.

Just a quick 2cents, the head unit is just the beginning. Matching the speakers (power Ohms) with the head or amps is what makes a system rock or not. And more power is not the answer, As just with a home stereo system you need to have right speakers that work well with rest of the system. So how is it you do this match up? I know what you are saying is correct about the sound.

I'm big on clarity no matter what type of music that I'm listening to. My taste run from Gospel, Jazz, Old R&B up to todays Hip Hop. And the key is the it all can sound good if the system is setup right. I love to hear the violins in a Earth Wind & Fire song, just as much as the hard hitting bass in Drop it like it hot! I agree with that thought.

A single din cassette and cd player? Awesome! :) Too bad it doesnt play Mp3's...
You might check that link a few posts back I think I saw something about MP3's in the info that came with this. I'll take another look and see if it is there.....

AF

A good rule of thumb is that you have at least 10 watts of power over your speakers limits. This gives you room for peaks for bass and highs without distortion. So if your unit puts out 4 x50 and your not going to use any extra amps the ideal speakers would be in the range of 40 watts max RMS @ 8 ohms....most head units are rated at 8 ohms unlike most speakers and amps now days. A another rule/hint ohms are doubled at each level, so when you see speakers rated at 500 RMS peak at 2ohms it will break down as such:

4 ohms = 250 watts
6 ohms = 125 watts
8 ohms = 62.5 watts

the same formula goes for amps also. So be weary of off brand stuff with high ratings (RMS) and if you are looking at subs look for dual coils.

If you have a head unit putting out 4 x 50 and speakers capable of handling 100 watts @8 ohms you will have under powered setup and the sound will come across small/tiny. You would need an amp with output of 60 watts per channel @ 8 ohms or more. And if you have too much power you run the risk of blowing your speakers when a peak part plays through your system.

for the setup above I would go with an amp that put out no more than 75 watts per channel @ 8 ohms total 300 watts

6 ohms = 150 per channel total 600 watts
4 ohms = 300 per channel total 1200 watts
2 ohms = 600 per channel total 2400 watts

See how the numbers can get inflated.

One more thing SemperFi

Last edited:
re:New player in my 99

would've been nicer if it were black, and the lights on it were green ...perfect match with the rest of the dashboard..:D

it wasn't until the other day that I was looking at that pioneer deh1900....it's perfect (for looks) but it has terrible CD functions ...too bad...

recoveryone: thanks for the above post... now I know a bit more :)

This is what I picked up a few years ago to replace my stock system that had balance problems. I matched it up with a 8 disk changer along with 2 Alpine amps, 4 Pioneer TS A688 speakers in the doors and twin 12" subs in trunk.

product98002pd5.jpg
The control knobs are black on mine which gives me the stock look I was going for.
291206062tsa6881rthuw1.jpg

This is what I picked up a few years ago to replace my stock system that had balance problems. I matched it up with a 8 disk changer along with 2 Alpine amps, 4 Pioneer TS A688 speakers in the doors and twin 12" subs in trunk.

product98002pd5.jpg
The control knobs are black on mine which gives me the stock look I was going for.
291206062tsa6881rthuw1.jpg

Nice looking unit, I'd rather mine was dark too in color, but what the heck. Thanks for all the info, I'll try to put it to good use. I was thinking of getting some 3 channel speakers. Probably nothing as fancy as yours, but perhaps passible.
Regards,
AF

Ill tell you an important rule in car audio.....

Its better to overpower your speakers than to underpower.

Most speakers blow from not enough juice.

Ill tell you an important rule in car audio.....

Its better to overpower your speakers than to underpower.

Most speakers blow from not enough juice.
sigh....underpowering does not blow speakers, IDIOTS do. I could go in depth about square signals and clipping. Instead I found this link to save myself and some of the others on here from the waste of time of typing it up ourselves:
click and learn and then set up your amp properly.
http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

Back