• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 auto-tranny not engaging

azcontour

New CEG'er
98 Contour's automatic transimission is not engaging forward gears.

At first, transmission seemed to take time in warming up and engaging gears. Had to resort to shifting manually. It would rev high and then accept shifts from 1 to 2 to D, sometimes it would grab D but usually after about 1/2+ mile driving.

Drained, flushed and changed tranny oil the other day. Now it barely grabs first and is revving more freely than actually moving vehicle. Reverse works fine. Fluid level seems fine, no leaks.

Changed out the TSS sensor, but no difference.

Is it the torque convertor? There was no history of dramatic failure, just less response when starting out in gear over past few weeks.

Start with the easy stuff first:

1.) Check the level, seem alright? Let the car sit in P for a while when checking the dipstick.

2.) You said you recently changed the fluid: was it a fill/drain or a flush?
From your message I take it that this issue occured after the change of fluid?
What kind of fluid did you use?

I drained it, filled, drained again, and filled. After running warm and in P, the level was correct. Used proper fluid and cleaned out some dark, old looking fluid.

I had topped the fluid a week before since it seemed low, but there was no real change in performance (or lack of). The car seemed to take time before it would accept full power through the trans from the engine.

No CEL on dash either. R works like a charm.

Not the torque converter

Not the torque converter

If reverse works fine, then it is NOT the torque converter as ALL speeds in the trans require input from the torque converter.

In the left wheel well forward of the TSS sensor is a plug that will allow the attachment of an oil pressure gage (200lb min). Check the oil pressure and if it is low, I think less than 47 psi in drive with the car warmed up and at a standstill, you don't have enough oil pressure.

Lack of oil pressure can come from two sources. The pump itself being worn or the oil pressure regulator in the valve body block.

I still have 2 forwards and reverse, next week I'll be using my CD4E transmission tool kit I bought on ebay to rebuild the unit. I believe that my second and high gear band is worn out.

Good luck

Thanks for the info.

So can either of those be done at home, or does it require a transmission shop to fix?

Depends on you skill set or courage

Depends on you skill set or courage

Rebuilding a transmission does require more than normal skill and specialized tools are certainly helpful.

To rebuild the trans will either require your to remove the trans from the bottom, or the engine and trans from the top.

Manuals and specialized tools can be bought on ebay.

Or off to a trans shop, I don't know the money required but a phone call to a shop will provide you with a price that will make you gulp

Could be your ManualLeverPositionSensor (MLPS), it is the switch that tells the powertrain what gear to be in. Easier than pulling trans, cost reasonable. Try looking here for what you might be in for, takes a while to load ATX Picture Story

Good call

Good call

By all means do check out the MLPS, the mistake guy is correct it could cause the same problem. And it would be a damn sight cheaper and quicker.

It is too bad that the plug in transmission tester is so hard to get ahold of, but a good transmission shop would have one and it would not only tell you the gear commanded but the activation of the 5 selonoids and temperature sensor. This should allow them to pinpoint the problem.

Last edited:
You can also check the line pressure with a data scan tool via the ODBII port. It could be the MPLS is not signaling the PCM to increase line pressure when in forward. It’s a long shot but it’s an easy one. It’s not the TSS or VSS so don’t waste your time changing them.

jeff

It's not the MLPS. You can completely unplug the transmission and you'll have 2nd gear and reverse due to the manual valving.

Checking the commanded EPC pressure probably won't net anything.

Checking the line pressure with a gauge, OTOH, is the best advice given so far.

Based on your description of how the problem developed, you need a rebuild. Sorry. Clutches are probably worn to nothing.

Steve

It's not the MLPS. You can completely unplug the transmission and you'll have 2nd gear and reverse due to the manual valving.

Checking the commanded EPC pressure probably won't net anything.

Checking the line pressure with a gauge, OTOH, is the best advice given so far.

Based on your description of how the problem developed, you need a rebuild. Sorry. Clutches are probably worn to nothing.

Steve

Steve’s correct. I forgot about the 2nd gear manual function. It’s been over four years since I had to work on the CD4E. The old farts memory is slipping.

If you plan to keep the car a good scan tool is a good investment anyway.

jeff

Thanks for the info and support from everyone. Looks like it is time to move on to another ride.

Good information to know, you get 2nd and R even if bad MLPS, no 2nd=trans overhaul. Maybe a used trans could be installed?

Back