• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got me a new car..Is it an SVT???

fordman302

Hard-core CEG'er
Nope its just your basic ZX3 Focus with a 5SPD..Great on gas handles better than the SVT ( BAT kit was installed )..shifts awesome..Paint needs some TLC im taking care of that..just hit 100K..Interior is in Awesome shape..Only 2 wear spots on the Floor mat..This was a 1owner Focus.. Never had anyone in the backseat.
In the last Picture you'll see some of my latest work in Paint care..I used my PC and some Diamond Cut 1500 From Chemicalguys..Started with a green pad and worked up to a Yellow pad..Took some Polish to it them some glaze ( All from Chemicalguys )...Still not what i was looking for but looks alot better than before..

Picture055-1.jpg

Picture057.jpg

Picture063-1.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture061.jpg

I know it is your opinion but that’s a pretty bold statement to make since the SVT was design and tuned around performance and handling.

Go take out a ZX3 Vs Stock SVT Contour..Again theres more aftermarket Suspension for the Focus than the Contour.

Well, at least if you put a SE 2.5L engine in this one it'll be an upgrade. ;)

I like the focus. A little too tall and narrow for my driving tastes though, especially on the freeway. However, they are 100x easier to park!

ZX3s handle better than Contours because they have stiffer bodies. My wife has one. The handling are great, although the steering is very muffled. Throw on a stiffer lower suspension and it would smoke an SVT.

-Andy

Once the Drop goes on and some intake and Exhaust work is done it should be alittle better..As for the motor swap its a PITA..Ive done alittle searching about it..

ZX3s handle better than Contours because they have stiffer bodies. My wife has one. The handling are great, although the steering is very muffled. Throw on a stiffer lower suspension and it would smoke an SVT.

-Andy

you can get the fsvt suspension for like just over 200 i think.

boost it Joe

MY DD work car..LOL..Boosting it would be fun..But i think a 50shot of alittle some some will do me good for now..Ive done alot of searching on N20 on that car and its handles it well if done right..and a 50shot will let my clutch last..Something cheap and easy and use it when im you know on the Streets..

I know it is your opinion but that’s a pretty bold statement to make since the SVT was design and tuned around performance and handling.

....in 1998

Why is it that whenever anyone says something handles better than an SVT contour, people get all upity. I've owned an SVT with a factory, then BAT kit. and guess what: My 02 civic si EP3 handles better than my SVT! What?? you blaspheme!!! whatever. The SVT contour is not the best handling car in the world. Accept that.

I guess this may depend on your personal definition of handling. It's a pretty general term and I've found people use it to mean different things.

There are objective measures, but for me, it's mostly subjective -- things like feedback, predictability, responsiveness, etc.. Things that can't be measured. In my opinion, this is what the Contour excels at.

Objectively, from what I'm aware, the Contour wins on the skidpad, for what that's worth, but I believe they're very close.

In my experience driving the Focus, I'd say that they're great handlers overall, but the dimensions result in a subpar driving experience for me compared to a stock Contour SE -- height/width/wheelbase on a Contour are all favorable in my opinion. Yeah, you can lower them, but that doesn't change the height/width ratio of the body which is the issue for me.

I find that the shape of the Focus becomes an issue at high speeds. The 106" wheelbase of the Contour that isn't so great in parking lots is really nice on the freeway and when making high speed adjustments/lane changes. I find freeway maneuvering in the Focus to be jerkier and less confidence inspiring. In my experience the Contour handles better and drives smoother at high speeds.

But to each their own. I know there's a Mustang guy ready to jump in and say that Mustangs out-handle both cars. :p

Go take out a ZX3 Vs Stock SVT Contour..Again theres more aftermarket Suspension for the Focus than the Contour.

I entirely agree, Plus the focus was modeled to be the "Better contour" if you look at the whole of the car a lot of it is just like the contour.

I drove a ZX3 focus, ive driven an SVT focus and ive driven countless SVT contours, and I can say if I had to pick which one had the best handling. Stock Focus SVT hands down, then Stock ZX3 then Stock SVT contour.

Not that im saying the contour SVT is a bad handling car, its one of the best ive driven. But there obviously is newer and better things out there.

I entirely agree, Plus the focus was modeled to be the "Better contour" if you look at the whole of the car a lot of it is just like the contour.

Except that the Focus sold alongside the Mondeo for less money in most markets. Gah.

The Focus has some elements in common with the Contour and they have some market crossover, but they're not the same class of car -- even if the Contour is technically a compact, it has dimensions and ride dynamics of a midsized car.

I don't think it is at all accurate to call the Focus the "better contour".

Last edited:
I just drove Joe's ZX3 tonight, and compared to a stock SVT, it way outhandles a stock SVT Contour. As a matter of fact, I think it even holds the road better then my CSVT with Koni Sport Kit, BAT Rear Sway Bar, and OMP Strut Tower Brace.

Car hugs the corners extremely well, and not even on the best tires! I like the car Joe, still has no power though!!

Back