• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thoughts on Autometer Gauge...

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
I was looking at upgrading (maybe not accuracy but ease) oil pressure gauges. I currently have a sweet Ford Racing one... that is only available in mechanical :( The crappy part is when I start it cold I have so much pressure that if I get one place to quit leaking it starts in another. I'm looking at a short sweep electric one by Autometer the phantom series to be specific.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2618&sid=7

The oil pressure isn't available in Phantom and full sweep electric as I'm sure that'd be more accurate. The short sweep isn't too spendy though I found one on ebay for 54 plus 9 for shipping. Does anyone know where else I could find them for that price or cheaper?

Ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Auto...ryZ33676QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Forget the Ebay link... I found it on Jegs for 55 bucks and free 1-2 day shipping :) I think I'll just go ahead and order it there...

Edit: Hold the phone... 11.99 in "handling" charges? Give me a break don't offer free shipping then :rolleyes:

Ughhh and 11 bucks "handling" through summit...

Last edited:
yeah they must pay the guy $11/hr to go find the gauge in the warehouse and put it in a box to ship it. hes a little retarded so it takes him a while to do all that :D:D

yeah they must pay the guy $11/hr to go find the gauge in the warehouse and put it in a box to ship it. hes a little retarded so it takes him a while to do all that :D:D

Maybe LOL in the end the ebay one is probably cheaper by a few bucks.

So anyone have any comments on the gauge itself? Is anyone using one?

I like the Autometer Ultra-lite II series. I currently have 3 of those mechanical gauges, but the temp gauges stick when hot, so I'll replace them with electrical ones.

Are you going for the short sweeps because of the price? Long sweeps a much more accurate (higher resolution).

no hes going for the short sweeps cause autometer doesnt make a full sweep electric oil pressure gauge

no hes going for the short sweeps cause autometer doesnt make a full sweep electric oil pressure gauge

What he said :( I'd love to have the full sweep for the increased accuracy but they don't make it, at least not in a phantom Oil pressure gauge. I don't like the mechanical oil pressure gauge only because of the problems I have with getting that plastic line to hold up to cold start up oil pressure and the concern that one day it will leak all over my pillar and in my interior (knocks on wood)

What he said :( I'd love to have the full sweep for the increased accuracy but they don't make it, at least not in a phantom Oil pressure gauge. I don't like the mechanical oil pressure gauge only because of the problems I have with getting that plastic line to hold up to cold start up oil pressure and the concern that one day it will leak all over my pillar and in my interior (knocks on wood)

Then ditch the plastic tube and get the brass tubing. I have a full sweep AutoMeter oil pressure gauge in the Mustang, has been there for 3 years, no leaks.

Then ditch the plastic tube and get the brass tubing. I have a full sweep AutoMeter oil pressure gauge in the Mustang, has been there for 3 years, no leaks.

Brass tubing all the way up the pillar? No thanks. I picked up the electric short sweep one and got it on Saturday. After all day I have it hooked up and working.

Works pretty decent if you ask me ;) Reading the same numbers as the mechanical Ford Racing one was when I had it.

oilpressuregauge.jpg

Last edited:
i bet my vdo is cheaper then yours :rolleyes:

vdo is better, cheaper, and uses the same internal parts (siemens) as autometer.

i bet my vdo is cheaper then yours :rolleyes:

vdo is better, cheaper, and uses the same internal parts (siemens) as autometer.

Sweet. My Autometer matches my other Ford Racing gauges. Which is what my goal was :rolleyes:

On a side note, how is it better if you're saying it uses the same internals? :p

Sweet. My Autometer matches my other Ford Racing gauges. Which is what my goal was :rolleyes:

On a side note, how is it better if you're saying it uses the same internals? :p

because cheaper imo is better if they are using the same parts. also, to repair autometer gauges you need to send them back to autometer. with vdo, generally a clock repair shop or gauge shop can repair them quickly. they ONLY difference between the two are the aesthetics which is what people like so thats why autometer is a popular option.

i had a identicle short-sweep electric oil pressure gauge for $30.xx.

I'll stick with a name brand when it counts. It looks cheapo if you have a nice ride - all done up and it looks like you skimped on the gauges. If it doesn't say Ford Racing or Autometer - is isn't going in my ride.

WOW!! i thought you guys were joking!!

so i guess you have never driven a mercedes or a porsche before? (check out the binicle; they are all stamped VDO iirc) they are standard equiptment on tons of cars for instument clusters, gasoline systems, diesel systems, adaptive cruise control, night vision, parking mate, traffic-jam assist, sensors, driver assisted systems, aftermarket navigation... not to mention replacement parts.

i suggest you all look at http://www.siemensvdo.com. they have THOUSANDS of gauge ideas/solutions that are simply worth while. i believe they have been around ALOT longer then autometer and do TONS more stuff, and imho, better quality, better prices, more selection, and better service (probably because i found a local shop to service/make custom gauges for me for next to nothing).

cheers

Last edited:
hah.. you guys are funny. VDO is an old and common brand... even OEM manufacturer (as 111R stated). I went with the Autometer ultralite-II series purely for aesthetics reasons.

Back