• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pre98 console and relocated hvac controls

icysvt

Addicted CEG'er
Here are some pics of work i have been doing lately. Not finished but there will be guages where the ac controls used to be. I havent seen anything close to this other than steedas relocation so I figured I'd give it a shot. Needs a little more trim/finishing work around the controls but it will look good completed. Let the flaming begin! :blackeye:
IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

times two, thats a brilliant idea, plus the design for the HVAC controls opens up a perfect area for aftermarket gauges.

me thinks I might be doing something similar in the future.
I thought it might be a decent idea. we will soon see

Should look good once done..Hope you good with this kinda stuff..
I work with fiberglass every day at work. Patching at a boat mfg pays off occasionally! If I can get it all worked out nicely I might try a GB for them if there is enough interest and the finished product comes out the way I want

I work with fiberglass every day at work. Patching at a boat mfg pays off occasionally! If I can get it all worked out nicely I might try a GB for them if there is enough interest and the finished product comes out the way I want

Sounds like you know about the Fiberglass part, So thats a Plus..I think a GB would go over nicely depending on your Pricing..About how long do you think this will take you to Complete

Sounds like you know about the Fiberglass part, So thats a Plus..I think a GB would go over nicely depending on your Pricing..About how long do you think this will take you to Complete
I'm going to the junkyard on friday or sat to pick up some bezels. I have to figure out if I need to order the parts to make the guages angle or just make some and mold them in. trial and error from here on out lol. I'm hoping to have it done in a matter of 2 weeks or so.

so what did you do to extend the wiring for the hvac? or was it long enough already to just move it?

Looks good, I had a prototype of this design last year. You can easily put a backing plate up against where the Hvac used to be and use the little cut outs for 'trim' if you dont mind the gauges being flush mounted. I opened them out and glassed in some pods angled twoards the driver though....

Only reason I never finished it was because I couldnt find a pre-98 lower, and when I drove one that had it.... I missed my cup holders! :blackeye::laugh:

Are you planning on ditching the monitor deck? its going to block your gauges when open if you dont swap those spots. Another peice of advice, if you're thinking about it or not.... cut out a spare upper bezel where the HVAC was and glass it to where it sits now, that way it looks factory.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the finished pictures.

Work in progress right now, but I can't wait to see the finished product. Excellent choice for the relocation..

Just a quick thought??? but say I were to do the Pre98 console minus all that modding....... where do the cups go when i want a drink?

- Amyn

Just a quick thought??? but say I were to do the Pre98 console minus all that modding....... where do the cups go when i want a drink?

- Amyn
The pre98 cupholders were very prone to breaking since they were so flimsy (hence the 98+ console revision). But if you did want to, the cupholders are those pop-up things next to the parking brake.

Well actually I think they are in a better location in the Pre98... I see those are cool!

Everything looks really good by the way......just a bit more trim around the HVAC and it will look perfect...

Good Job

- Amyn

Looks good, I had a prototype of this design last year. You can easily put a backing plate up against where the Hvac used to be and use the little cut outs for 'trim' if you dont mind the gauges being flush mounted. I opened them out and glassed in some pods angled twoards the driver though....

Only reason I never finished it was because I couldnt find a pre-98 lower, and when I drove one that had it.... I missed my cup holders! :blackeye::laugh:

Are you planning on ditching the monitor deck? its going to block your gauges when open if you dont swap those spots. Another peice of advice, if you're thinking about it or not.... cut out a spare upper bezel where the HVAC was and glass it to where it sits now, that way it looks factory.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the finished pictures.
I personally will prob put the cheap Faze guages I have in the pillar right now into the old hvac spot with the only important guage really being oil pressure, and I could always put it in the coin tray.When I go turbo I'm going to need other guages and I'll put them in the pillar like the egt and wideband o2 etc... Great idea on the glassing in part for the console,I was going to throw a trim ring from a radio around it for now:shrug: should look ok. but molding and pointing towards the driver are my plans for now on the guages. Wish me luck lol

Looks like it'll be nice once it's finished!!!! I wish I would've known you were doing this, I have a tan pre-98 console in my trunk that I could've just given to you, b/c I know I'll never use it. You just would've had to paint it.

If anyone else wants it, lemme know!!!!

Back