• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SuperBrightLED's

Leds don't die from someone touching the bulb. Your thinnking of a filament type bulb (like a headlight bulb) Leds are a semiconductor diode that emits incoherent narrow-spectrum light when electrically biased in the forward direction of the positive-negative junction. This effect is a form of electroluminescence.(thanks wikipedia)

They are HIGHLY voltage sesitive. If you are unsure of how many volts it takes to light an led, FIND OUT. If you don't find out, even 1 volt over the recommended voltage will burn out the led. Sure it will look bright, but for only a second or two (or worst case ... not at all) for a 12 volt system you should use a 470 ohm (or higher) resistor. for a 15 volt system (because or cars can get up to 14.8) you should be using a 680 ohm resistor. this is based on an led with ratings of 3.2 volts and 20 ma of current on a 15 volt system

simply led calculator http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
I buy my leds from www.besthongkong.com because they give me specs right on the site.

I've had problems with the quality of their stuff. I've bought probably 20 of the little LEDs that plug into the instrument cluster. About 4 have gone bad quickly (20% are bad??!!). And I bought festoon bulbs... 4 total, and 2 went bad. I don't recommend their site. Plus the shipping is a rip-off.

hmmm, Interesting. I haven't had any problems with their stuff yet. IMHO I don't think shipping is that bad. I mean from hong kong to canda in one week (to the day) is pretty good considering it takes over a month to get stuff from the states. Maybe you should see what your car voltage is. Maybe you are burning them out because your putting to much voltage to them.

It's $5 shipping even if you order 5 tiny LEDs. The whole package can't weigh more than 2 ounces.

As far as the LEDs failing... it's poor quality. Wiggling them would make them work sometimes, or tipping them a certain way. Whatever they connect the resistors with doesn't hold up to well.

I'd definitely recommend buying a $3 solder gun, 50 cents worth of solder, and $3 of LEDs/resistors from ebay, and doing it yourself.

11 wedge type Leds from superbrightleds would cost me 43.94 US vs 17.81 US from best hongkong. And I haven't had any problems with them yet. If you are only going to buy 5 leds then it isn't even worth going online. Just go to an electronics store and get them. I mean I bought 500 blue leds and it cost me 40 bucks CA.

I have had serious problems with leds in door switches and door handles burning out. I originally calculated based off 12 volt. Then I realized that the cars voltage can spike to 14.8 V. As genesis14 has stated calculate your resistors for 14.8 V and personally I would calculate for 15 mA forward current for a 20 mA forward current diode. In the future I as well will be ordering from besthongkong.

yeah, one of my festoon bulbs finally burned out a couple days ago after work. a coworker was like "you're so gay. why do you have strobe light license plate lights"

I bought 2-3 sets of festoon LED bulbs from them and they start strobing in 2-3 months..... :nonono:
I tried ebay and it is the same story...forgot to say that i use them for the license plate

I bought 2-3 sets of festoon LED bulbs from them and they start strobing in 2-3 months..... :nonono:
I tried ebay and it is the same story...forgot to say that i use them for the license plate
I want to buy more but I can't stand replacing these things every few months. Getting pulled over for burnt out license plate bulbs is the last thing I need.

this is why i get my LED bulbs from Autolumination.com. i have never had any LED bulbs go out. i have had a few from superbrightLEDs and they all went out after a few months.

this is why i get my LED bulbs from Autolumination.com. i have never had any LED bulbs go out. i have had a few from superbrightLEDs and they all went out after a few months.

I had really crappy results with their incadescent xenon bulbs. They were all different shades of "xenon" and when I asked them about it they said "that's the way they are because they are all different types of bulbs"

license plate LEDs

license plate LEDs

Which ones are you guys ordering specifically? I want a "cool white" color, and I want the brightness to be about the same as stock or a little brighter. But not so bright anyone looking at it instantly thinks "that's aftermarket lighting". And obviously not so dim you can't read the plate.

I emailed superbrightleds for a recommendation and their answer was completely useless.

And are you guys ordering 42mm x 10mm ?

Thanks!!!

So no one with LEDs in the license plate knows what they put in? Someone here said they used the 4 LED festoon. I don't even see a 4 LED festoon in this size.

I see a 3 or 6 in the super bright category. 42 x 10mm.

Sorry about taking so long in replying. I use the 6 led 41mm festoon. You have to email the guy to get them. They aren't listed anymore (they were at one point). They do still make them. They only work one way so test them before final install.

I had the festoons on my SVT and NEVER had a problem..

before

1-23.jpg

with the White LED festoons

2-17.jpg

3-15.jpg

123-6.jpg

i actually got pulled over for having my license plate lights out, but i got off with a warning, he originally pulled me over for yelling and then asked, "is something wrong with your transmission" when I downshifted from 5th to 4th, to 3rd, to 2nd

Back