• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Header Problem

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
a friend of mine is a mechanic and he installed my headers and went to run the car and it starts but shuts right off like someone is turning the key. he ended up taking them off and putting the old ones back on. anyone else have this problem. he suggested taking it to a speed shop and having them do it and do something to the computer

if the car wouldn't run after headers where installed your mechanic must have done something else while he was installing them. the car should run fine with headers installed. you would only get a cel if you didn't have mil-eliminators .

LMAO! Worst mechanic on planet Earth! Scam artisit too. Oh sorry had to put the old cats back on. That will be 1k please.

yes did you see them get installed? does it look like the old manifolds where removed? Sure sounds like he didn't even install them and then cooked up a reason as to why he didn't do the work ...

Especially with how difficult the headers are to install. I wouldn't just "throw the old ones back on" Unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary... Sounds fishy to me.

yes did you see them get installed? does it look like the old manifolds where removed? Sure sounds like he didn't even install them and then cooked up a reason as to why he didn't do the work ...

Thats what im guessing. First thing I thought I thought was, "This is way too hard. Im just going to tell him the car wont run."

^ I'm with the rest of the guys. I really wonder if he didn't even bother to install them.
This guy went through the trouble of taking everything apart, putting the headers on, cutting the EGR tube, and installing a compression fitting and then finds out the car doesn't run: so he rips it all apart and puts it back to stock? Makes no sense at all. :shrug:

No need to let anyone mess with the computer.

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that you had that kind of trouble.

You only need to cut the EGR tube with Weapon R headers, not MSDS.

I seriously cant think of any reason why your catless headers wouldent flow properly compared to stock catted manifolds...

i agree with all of you that he probably didnt install them in the first place. ill be able to tell when i get it back which should be today. ill just have to attempt it myself on one of my breaks cause i go back to school in two weeks and im going on vacation this week.

yeah definately take a look, should be very evident if the headers where removed ...

also is there anyone local to you that has installed headers before that could help out? There are not to bad, just take your time over a weekend.

not that i know of around here. i can post something up for down in north carolina cause thats where i go to school but another problem now is that i lowered it and got the mirko on and the way my moms driveway is i may not be getting in her garage anymore. ill have to see. i can do it probably the only weekend i have off sence football starts and i play every saturday and practice everyday. we get one weekend off at the end of camp before classes start. i can try and attempt it then.

well got the car back today. the headers have some discoloration on them like heat was on them but they inside isnt black and their not black on the outside like a mechanic was handling them. right now i dont think he even took them out of the car.

yea i took a look at the front studs and they nuts havent been touched. still rusty as can be. if he had them off he would of atleast put new gaskets in that i had and he didnt even touch them. by the way tourige how did you get 230 whp...turbo?

yea i took a look at the front studs and they nuts havent been touched. still rusty as can be. if he had them off he would of atleast put new gaskets in that i had and he didnt even touch them. by the way tourige how did you get 230 whp...turbo?

I had a 75 shot on my car. It was fun.

Back