• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Moral dilemna with the CSVT I sold...

I would feel really guilty, as you do. but in all fairness, you did warn him, he was aware of the tick, and agreed to buy it with the tick. a few days later it went out, if could of never went out until he got it fixed, or it could of gone 2 days later as it did. My point is, once it was in his posession, it is his responsibility, and here out his "problem" your intentions were good, and i give you a thumbs up for just posting this thread!

Not your fault at all, he probably figured he'd be okay with the tick and that he'd be fine..... If he was to gun ho about getting the SVT that he just bought it anyways that is his fault.... I know you feel bad but I'd explain to him that he was told about the problem prior to buying it. He assumed all responsibility after he bout the car. After all that and he still choose to buy the car, you are under no obligation to buy the car back from him... I'd tell him your sorry but you need the money and he bought at his own risk. Tell him he should to a 3L swap :D

However to those who have posted that things changed (and the seller should buy the car back) because the kid didn't know what he was doing, at what point should a "kid" know what he's doing? Who is going to provide that information? It's bad enough the government is (supposedly) trying to protect us from ourselves, which generally gets a thumbs down from the residents of this sight. Are we now supposed to run some sort of background check on a prospective buyer in order to see if he is capable of taking care of a vehicle with a known and disclosed (or unknown) problem?

When does the responsibility fall on the other guy? :shrug:
Karl
Well put. My feelings exactly.

Not to burst anyones bubble, but if the kid was smart (which dosent seem to be the case..) he could have the ability to legally void the contract. Not sure on the law in Canada.:shrug: But in the states, because he is a minor he would have the option. :nonono: Not that you were at fault or anything, but just because he is a minor and minors have the option to cancel any contract before they turn 18.

Not to burst anyones bubble, but if the kid was smart (which dosent seem to be the case..) he could have the ability to legally void the contract. Not sure on the law in Canada.:shrug: But in the states, because he is a minor he would have the option. :nonono: Not that you were at fault or anything, but just because he is a minor and minors have the option to cancel any contract before they turn 18.

He put it in hids dad's name, he has no recourse there. Also he has been consistently naghging me to buy the car back at full sale price now... You'd think his price would go down as time progresses, not up. He also pointed out a SVT for sale with over 200,000kms for $7,000, keeps trying to convince me to buy it back and make money... Just because its for sale at that price doesn't mean it will sell!

I've pretty much told the kid he's going to have to take care of it himself. I've sent him in the direction of this website for info and know-how for the 3L swap that he's interested in. But when he has his mom call me, and start calling my parents to find me (I'm unlisted), I start to lose my patience with him. As far as the deal went, I did everything I could. I don't feel any remorse about the sale, I just fell bad for the kid. I've offered to help him with any info I can give him and point him in the right direction, but he keeps on about wanting me to buy the car back. I delivered a running car, that he had a mechanic look at on Friday afternoon while the car was running. The mechanic told him that it had a problem, but he drove it anyway. Had he called me then, I may have been inclined to help him, and offer him the fix for that $150 more I first offered... Now he has a non-running car thats a hour and a half drive away from me. What can I say?

I understand that you feel guilty but I wouldn't give him anything. I bought my SVT when I was 17 also, but I did my homework and new what I was getting. If this kid was too dumb to overlook a potential problem that is not your concern. As long as you pointed out the noise he should've been prepared to replace the engine anyhow. I bet his parents are the ones pushing him to contact you as I doubt a 17 year old has $4600 laying around, I'd bet they paid for it...

I'm with todd, for all you know he went out and beat the crap out of it. It could've blown from a completely different cause in a week. Feel bad sure, give him money I vote no.

DON'T give (or even offer) him anything, as has already been said the car belongs to him. If you give him anything, it could be seen to be an admission of guilt if this were ever to go to court. Its an unfortunate situation, but thats all. Time to move on.

a whole week is just way too long to have a car in your possesion and all of a sudden just turn around and hold the seller responsible for a blown motor. which was even disclosed and understood to have a "tick". anyone would consider this a major issue since it was disclosed.

and i didn't even have to mention the kid being 17 years old. you shouldn't be responsible.

i wouldnt do it either. a 17 y.o with a csvt in his hands on it's own can equal a blown motor. i bet some aggressive driving on his part is what finished off the motor.

if you had mechanic's tell you that it was a valve tick, then most likely thats what it was, and a sticky valve wont lead to a spun bearing (which it sounds like is the case now)

Has he contacted you again? I wondering if you've had anymore contact with him? :shrug: If he stops persuing you, let it go!

Honestly the more I read, it seems like him and his parents are stupid to let him buy a car with a motor like that. I know I said give hime lik 10-20% of the repair, but after reading the email...:nonono:

Tell him too bad!

too bad sooooo sad. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now would be a good time for him(17 yr. old) to learn how this little gem is put together. He will thank you later...

I just wonder how many KLM's he put on it in that short time? and under what conditions?
He bought it knowing it had problems, and you gave him a chance to drop the deal. He insisted and took it. You even lowered the price. Sounds like you were square with him, he should have addressed the problem and fixed it right up front. He chose not to ..... Oh well

I think the best thing you could do is what you did ... tell him how to find this site. If he does he could come out with a great Tour, and an education...... What's that saying about a horse and water.......:nonono:

I don't think there is anything he can do to get you to pay "full amount"..lol...back...you've been fair and square with him, him mistake, his problem now, he can't sue you so don't worry about it... and why would you buy less of a good car ?

now him and his parents contacting and pressurizing you...that's pure idiocy...if it continues....you can always report this...worst comes to worse.

even in legal course, he can't win shiite, but these things end up being time wasters and money suckers

Meh, he probably didn't even tell his parents it had a problem and hoped that the problem would just "go" away, and he'd be set.

K, I've wiped my hands clean of this guy. Its unfortunate, but those are the breaks sometimes. He has really gotten on my nerves now, so I'm going to just let it be, and move on! He is currently in the waiting period for posting here, so I'm sure you all will hear his side soon. But I gave all the emails of relevance, so I'm not too sure what he will have to say. In fact, I'm kind of curious! Anyways, thanks for all your help out here, I'll definitely stay out here! I still have that 2.5 in my Probe... mazda built, but does it count? :crazy: Oh, and my Escape has a 3L....

Forgive my cluelessness, but what is it about taking a right-hand sweeper at 6500 rpm that would cook a bearing? Oil starvation?

The 2.5 Duratec in Contours has poor oil drainback from the valvetrain. It may have been corrected on late built Cougars. It either was never a problem on the 3.0 Duratec or was corrected before the 01 model year, so a 3.0 conversion based on a 01 or newer Escape of Taurus engine is a preferred choice.

The poor oil drainback was amplified with a sweeping right hand turn at high RPM. At high RPM there is very little oil at the pick-up pipe and a sweeping right hand turn can leave the pick-up exposed to air. It helps to keep the oil a little above the full mark. Factory says 5.8 quarts. I run mine at 6.0 quarts and avoid high speed right hand sweeper turns. Some run as much as 6.5 quarts.

Wingbender,
With a 1996 V6, 5.5 quarts is the max line. So, putting in 6 quarts (that's what I do) during an oil and filter change will be fine for you.

Thanks, Jim and Tony. I'll make sure my oil level stays a bit above the "full" line from now on. I do have one long right-hand sweeper on my way to work every day, although this is taken at around 3000 rpm.

Last edited:
Back