• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Who's got the Duratec with the highest mileage?

I gave my 95 tour away last spring 165000m and the engine is now in a 98 for a 2nd life.I still ran great.It ran on syn oil all it's life as well and driven hard.2 sets of plugs,a wire set,iacv and a water pump are the only things ever replaced on the engine.I got SO much more for my money out of that car especially the way it was driven.

156k miles on mine, and still driving it everyday. It's only seen synthetic oil since it's first oil change at 500 miles.

You all are giving me hope! Seems I've had a bout with some bad luck even though I only have 62k. In the last month, I've gotten a new alternator, 4 new tires, new brakes & rotors all around and am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here.

I really do feel it will go for a long time if I can just get it over the initial problems created by it basically sitting for 5 years unused...

You all are giving me hope! Seems I've had a bout with some bad luck even though I only have 62k. In the last month, I've gotten a new alternator, 4 new tires, new brakes & rotors all around and am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here.

I really do feel it will go for a long time if I can just get it over the initial problems created by it basically sitting for 5 years unused...
Aside from the alternator, those are all maintenance items :)

To answer your earlier question, both age and mileage put wear and tear on a motor but the biggest thing that determines its longetivity is maintenance IMO. The more strict you are, the more likely it will stay ticking longer. Second biggest thing is aggressiveness in driving.

I'm at around 185,000 on my 98 V6 MTX Contour. I bought it with 9,000 miles on it, I think it was bought new and was a dealer buyback because of stalling problems. It did stall sometimes, but in a 5-speed car it's not hard to deal with stalling. Somewhere along the line I fixed the stalling and it's been great the last 170,000 or so miles, other than normal stuff like fuel pump and alternator.

From what I've heard from mechanics, the SHO and Duratec V6s are mechanically bullet proof. My brother has seen 300K+ on older SHOs with little wear, 200K+ on Duratecs (mind you, this was in 2000-ish). Transmissions (auto) seemed to be the weak points of the ones he was working on.

Electrical stuff might break now and then (and those damn trannys), but mechanically they're good, except for the right-hand, high RPM turn... but easy to solve that... slow down on those cloverleafs! ...or stop going round-and-round them for hours since the car handles so well! :crazy:

One of our SVT's is approaching 155,000 and it runs great... has a few phantom electrical probs at times but the engine is hella strong and the car seems quicker than the other 2

208,000 on my '95 SE MTX. Pic just kuz I can:
Dsc01033.jpg

i got 210,000 but i have to replace the clutch and a few other misc problems. and i cant get the freaking rear doors to open for the life of me.
Contour door lock actuators suck ass.

I figure, if you ask about miles, the overall condition of the car helps and a pic tells soo much. Picturefest on!

Back