• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blinker problem

hova15

CEG'er
okay my rear blinker will not work, when i switch the left signal the freak out and goes really fast the front one works fine but the back one does not. any ideas??? i replaced the bulb and nothing

Take a look at the wiring behind the side carpet in the trunk, when I had this problem I was able to wiggle the wiring and it would work for a while until I eventually fixed it but I can't remember exactally what I did.

It also doesnt work when i hit the brakes. so the only time the light is on is when the normal lights are one.

Bad connection on the bulb/wiring.

Scuff up the metal on the inside of the socket, and check for damaged wires behind the socket.

Be sure to check the blinker fluid. Make sure it's topped off.
BlinkFluid.jpg

Blinker fluid is an age old automotive joke. It doesn't exist, much like muffler bearings. :)

Go to the auto parts store and get a tube of di-electric grease too. Apply a couble of dabs in the socket to help make the bulb contacts, contact better. Might try new bulbs too, its cheap enough it can't hurt to try.

nope tried the grease and jingleing the wires and still nothing!!! any ideas?? do i need to replace the unit entierly?

Let me see if I got this right.... the left rear blinker won't blink but it will turn on when the lights are on?? That correct?

Vehicle model and year please.... Probably be able to get you the wires to follow and determine what is wrong.. I thinking possibly bad switch/relay or fuse...

Let me see if I got this right.... the left rear blinker won't blink but it will turn on when the lights are on?? That correct?

Vehicle model and year please.... Probably be able to get you the wires to follow and determine what is wrong.. I thinking possibly bad switch/relay or fuse...

Nah, I guarantee it's just a loose connection in the socket. I have the same problem. IIRC the orange wire on top is coming loose on me. My subs have jarred the wires loose :D. (haha that's what I like to think :p)

ya the light only comes when the light switch is on it doesnt blink and it also does not turn on when i brake

i tried wiggling the wires ill try again.

i also do have subs.

Its probaly a wire cause the light wasnt burt out when i checked, but i did replace it.

fixed!! it was a bad connection in the socket. it wasnt connecting and barely is now if it wiggles wrong the connection breaks and it doesnt work. Thanks for the help hopefully itll stick

thanks everybody

clean the crud out of the socket and make sure your clips aren't loose... should keep your problem from happening again.... and like it was said before, try dielectric grease...

Resurrecting this one . . . it seems mine has started doing the same thing intermittantly. Hopefully mine is as simple as a loose wire in the socket . . .

Back