• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

drum brakes, self adjuster

yomanwill

CEG'er
doing a rear brake job, new shoes, drums, wheel cylinders, and assoreted hardware. I'm stuck on reassembly because i can't get the darn drum back on...I think i might have messed up the adjuster but it looks right, don't know there isn't much to mess up on a drum brake I just find it odd...any suggestions or comments might help.

pics lots of 'em:

Last edited:
keep backing the adjuster off until you can get the drum on ...

did you compress the brake cylinder? doesn't seem like it

It looks like you did the same thing as I did when I was doing my drum brakes.

I dont know if you know this, but the spring hardware is different for the left and right drum brake. When I bought the hardware kit all of the springs were different colors to indicate which side went whre.

If you reused the old springs thats fine, and would make me wrong, it just looks like one of the springs, the really long one at the top with the small coils at either end, is too stretched out.

spring placement looks good to me ...

DSC02020.JPG

DSC02021.JPG

....i figured it out; I had the self-adjusters on the wrong side, the right one on the left, left on the right...

Thanks for the pics, and comments.

....i figured it out; I had the self-adjusters on the wrong side, the right one on the left, left on the right...

Thanks for the pics, and comments.

and this is why when working on brakes you only work on one side at a time or make sure you keep parts organized ... and by working on one side at a time you have the other side to reference if needed ....

i just did mine to and from looking at you picture it looked like you had the self adjuster on upside down. but then maybe i did mine wrong or maybe it doesnt matter.

Back