• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Take your best guess, how much to fix my AC on a 2000 SVT

Bozack

CEG'er
So I have an appointment at the stealership on Monday to have them diagnose my AC issue, actually this has been going on for a few years but just got bad enough this year that I decided it was time to do something...but if it is too costly of a fix it might be time to trade her in for something new...

on to the issue...over the past few years my AC has gotten weaker and weaker in coldness, the air will blow out the vent but on a hot muggy day like today it is like having the heat on, if it is cooler out then after a while the system will push out cool air.

last year it was somewhat the same but not as bad as eventually it would get cold.

I have no idea if this is indicative of just a simple recharge, or if it is something more costly (Pump, Condenser, Lines?)...I am guessing the pump is ok as it will kick on but no idea...so help me out guys, any thoughts?

Did you try recharging it with a can of R134a at the low valve (next to the battery)?

Did you try recharging it with a can of R134a at the low valve (next to the battery)?

I have done nothing, zero, zip nada....

Should I try this? I was under the impression that you couldn't just stick a can there but needed some kind of vacuum pump to remove air from the system?

If not how much is a can or 134a? and I will give it a shot tomorrow.

You may have a leaky (rusted) accumulator, a canister next to the battery. Very common, if car driven all seasons. My Mystique had a leaky compressor, I don't think that is commonplace. I would expect $200-300.

I have done nothing, zero, zip nada....

Should I try this? I was under the impression that you couldn't just stick a can there but needed some kind of vacuum pump to remove air from the system?

If not how much is a can or 134a? and I will give it a shot tomorrow.
If it is a slow leak, then you could try it. Buy from Advance or Autozone. The can of 19 oz (???) with the gauge is about $25. It should take less than 19 oz. You need the gauge so that you do not overcharge it. The gauge goes from (IIRC) green-low (also has Pounds) to blue (fill) to orange (alert) to red (danger). Obviously, you do not want it to go to the red zone.

If it is a slow leak, then you could try it. Buy from Advance or Autozone. The can of 19 oz (???) with the gauge is about $25. It should take less than 19 oz. You need the gauge so that you do not overcharge it. The gauge goes from (IIRC) green-low (also has Pounds) to blue (fill) to orange (alert) to red (danger). Obviously, you do not want it to go to the red zone.

a completely empty system should take 24 oz of R134A ... the colors are good but the pressure the system needs you need to know the ambient temp ...

chances are its the accumulator and it cost me $600 to have it fixed at the dealer ...

a completely empty system should take 24 oz of R134A ... the colors are good but the pressure the system needs you need to know the ambient temp ...

chances are its the accumulator and it cost me $600 to have it fixed at the dealer ...

ouch, yeah the car is all season daily driver...between that and brakes I might be over a grand, at that point it might be time to look for something new.

Thanks all

ouch, yeah the car is all season daily driver...between that and brakes I might be over a grand, at that point it might be time to look for something new.

Thanks all

1k in repairs in one year is nothing, your going to pay alot more in payments for a new car in a year then that .... I don't see how fixing the a/c is a back breaker ...

^^^^^
i------- budgets 3K or so per year, every year for maintenance and repairs. :cool:

1k in repairs in one year is nothing, your going to pay alot more in payments for a new car in a year then that .... ......

1k in repairs in one year is nothing, your going to pay alot more in payments for a new car in a year then that .... I don't see how fixing the a/c is a back breaker ...

It isn't but I am sorta itching for a new car anyway, if it goes over 1K with the brakes then that might be the justification I need to start looking...

Well I had them do the $180 diagnostic of the AC system...ouch

they said that the rear brakes and rotors need to be replaced which will cost $315

And that for the AC, it is leaking out of the compressior which will need to be replaced, so that will run with a recharge $835

So $1,330 in total, I am getting the brakes fixed but for a 7 year old car worth about 5K the AC cost just isn't worth it IMHO.

I am also wondering when my water pump will go as I think I am about due....oh well, time to start considering options.

2k's already have the updated white plastic water pump .... the ones that fail are black so you are fine there ....

Bozack, don't be "considering" any options. I'm assuming that your SVT doesn't have more than 100k. Well, lots of these things go wrong BEFORE 100k. I've only been on here a little while, but I notice lots of expensive but routine maintenance that needs to be done before that famous 100k mark. For me it was 80k. I mean, in the past 12 months, I have definitely spent over $2k on repairs/maintenance for my car. Things wear out on an older car, especially expensive things like the suspension or maybe problems with the timing. It is expected out of a car that is nearing/at double digit age. Please keep your SVT. If you don't want it I'll take if off your hands hehe :p

Also remember you are talking about dealership pricing !!!
Find a good honest local shop and go there.
Just do your homework.

I have a guy down here in South Florida I go to all the time (even for warranty items). My family has been going to him for years and I recommened him to everybody I know.

Find somebody like that in your area.

Also remember, there is no such thing as an A/C system just needed a re-charge.
It is a closed system. If it needs a re-charge, then there is a leak that needs to be fixed. Sure it might be a slow leak and dumping some freon at it may make it cold for a while, but it isn't going to fix itself.

Thanks all, I will try and find someone local and see if I can get a better deal but I have just started taking on a pretty long commute once a month and don't know if I want to deal with my car having issues...

Thanks for the info on the water pump, thought they were all afflicted by this, good to know that I should be in the clear.

Right now I am pricing options for a TSX...but who knows, if I can find someone to do the AC for around $500 then I would just stick with what I have.

Thanks all, I will try and find someone local and see if I can get a better deal but I have just started taking on a pretty long commute once a month and don't know if I want to deal with my car having issues...

Thanks for the info on the water pump, thought they were all afflicted by this, good to know that I should be in the clear.

Right now I am pricing options for a TSX...but who knows, if I can find someone to do the AC for around $500 then I would just stick with what I have.

well shoot, your in centeral mass .... replace the compressor yourself and I can come up with the guages and vacuum pump so we can refill the A/C system ourselves .... just need an air compressor ... hell the rear brakes are not that bad either .... you can make the repairs yourself ...

I should change that, I am on the north shore now...

Any idea on what just the compressor costs? I think I saw one online for $250 but that might have been remanufactured.

Holy ish! $800+ for a/c compressor. It can be done for around $300 with compressor and labor. Find a buddy that will teach you how to do brakes. So easy.

Back