• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust tips, suggestions????

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
i'm cutting off my trubendz tips because they sent me one that was 1" shorter than the other and once i finally got the exhaust all lined up under the car where it went with the correct flex pipe/test pipe, now the exhaust tip is flush with the bumper on one side and sticks out 1" on the other. instead of just cutting off the long one, im going to cut both tips off and get some nice 3.5" or 4" tips with a rolled tip maybe, can you show me what you guys have on your cars? that woudl be sweet. thanks :)

I have what Allen has.

Another view:

Mufflersandtips.jpg

and what setup is that? that looks real nice. i am about due for a change in sound.. except i don't got the svt rear :(

As posted by Allen: " I went with #14215 Magnaflows , 5"x8" polished stainless mufflers and these tips - Magnaflow #35125 (3½" double-wall).

I had them go with 2¼" stainless from the "Y" on out , and add another hanger right in front of the "Y" , where the non-SVT's have the hanger (thought it'd be a good idea) ."

I also had them install this:
straightthroughMagnaflow.jpg

Only problem with them adding it, it made the car so quiet. At WOT it sounded good but other than that, you could barely hear the car running. :cry: I added some headers to "enhance" the sound. ;)

Edit: Read the "Here is a thread" link that Allen posted. There is a ton of great information in it.

I'll be getting these 4"ers when I go in to get new mufflers.

P1090553.JPG

Fills the cutouts perfectly :drool:

i liike the rolled 3 1/2" ones you have now. i might go that route. i like how the 4" fills the cutout, but it still looks overly big, imo.

i might end up copying those magnaflows, but im gonna keep looking around to see what i can find :) thanks thus far. also i checked that old thread, nice stuff there. :)

I had an idea for my exhaust...im gonna go with flowmaster 40 series and 3.5 inch tips....cant decide between slash cut tips or rolled tips....then replacing the cats with pipe.......any other ideas/reccomendations? also is the muffler-lookin thing directly in the center of the car the resonator?

Yes , the "muffler" in the center is the resonator . It is the bottleneck of an SVT exhaust . The exhaust is 2.25" before the resonator , necks down to 2" through the resonator , then back out to 2.25" till the "y" at the rear . I have a 2.25" straight-through glasspack in place of my resonator ... sounds good , flows well .

I have a 2.25" straight-through glasspack in place of my resonator ... sounds good , flows well .

I have been tossing around the idea of doing this. Do you still have the stock mufflers on? My main concern is excessive cabin noise/droning. I'd like a little throatier sound, but not too much.

I had the glasspack in place for years with my stock SVT mufflers . It sounded great with no interior drone - and I've taken numerous trips of 11+hrs straight . It's just positives to me . LUCA's car had the same mod done by the previous owner , and she was totally happy with it when she bought it . When I went to the Magnaflows out back , I figured why mess with a good thing . Christine (LUCA) changed to a Magnaflow muffler in the middle , and it made the car as quiet as stock ... she was NOT happy . IIRC , she's talked about putting the glasspack back in .

So to answer your original question - it will be a bit throatier , a bit louder at idle (you can actually hear it ;) ) , no drone & not obnoxiously loud throughout the driving range .

Christine (LUCA) changed to a Magnaflow muffler in the middle , and it made the car as quiet as stock ... she was NOT happy . IIRC , she's talked about putting the glasspack back in .

So to answer your original question - it will be a bit throatier , a bit louder at idle (you can actually hear it ;) ) , no drone & not obnoxiously loud throughout the driving range .

I didn't like the sound at all! You really only heard the car at WOT and that wasn't good enough for me. :D

As Allen said, it will be throatier and a bit louder. I didn't have any drone and it wasn't obnoxious either.

A glasspack may be cheap and people may not agree with me (or Allen) but my car sounded so much better with one than with the Magnaflow I have.

I talked to a local shop...i will have my resonator replaced tommorrow....I will post video and sound from my cell phone (motorola Slvr) soon as I figure out how. keep in mind that NOTHING else on my svt is modded except for my LED shift knob :laugh: if someone could let me know how to post vids that would help...also is there a way to change my username?

Back