• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Running Weird (With Video)

Yeah I know, I'm getting tired of trying to fix it. I'm really running out of ideas of what it could be. I'm about to drive it up to Michigan to get someone who knows Contours to look at it. Even better, anyone want a 3L Contour?

Ha, found one thing. The Ford guy did say something about my IMRC cable and well it's cut in half. That might explain why I feel like im missing some get go on the top end. I'm a little excited because the 3L with secondaries that are stuck closed is still a good deal faster than the 2.5L.

Already checked the accessories, they're fine. Two code I'm running are p0171 and p0174 which is lean in both banks. Is this because of the headers or is this another problem. Both o2 sensors are less than 6 months old.

Oh yeah, and there are no vacuum leaks. I checked it about 30 times and even the Ford guys confirmed they didn't find any vacuum leaks.

You have a vacuum leak. Check the gasket areas again, especially where the headers are.

Ahhhh, I'll check them again. There are no leaks up top the only place that I can think of is where the LIM meets the head. I'll even go buy new gaskets. Would it cause any issues if I used a small amount of RTV on the gaskets to possibly seal up any leaks on the heads. Tony, what kind of vacuum leak would be by the headers???

The gaskets on the headers were brand new when I replaced them with the engine. And on the headers wouldn't be creating a vacuum leak anyway. It has to be somewhere on the intake.

Per TSB, some of the causes of P0171 and P0174,

P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The code is set when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

Fuel System:
· Contaminated fuel injectors
· Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel (fuel pump, filter, fuel supply line restrictions)
· Vapor recovery system (VMV)

Induction System:
· MAF contamination
· Air leaks between the MAF and throttle body
· Vacuum leaks
· PCV system concern
· Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
· Leaking gasket
· Stuck EGR valve
· Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
· Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S
· Secondary air concern
Powertrain Control System:
· PCM concern

P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2) Same as DTC P0171, but Bank 2. See Possible Causes for DTC P0171

Well I fixed the secondaries and the car pulls like a crazy man again. First time with the 3L and the secondaries working....wow. Anyway, now instead of sitting at 1100 rpm it jumps around between 500 and 1000 rpm trying to find it. Once it settles around 750 it still vibrates and stumbles just as bad. I'm beginning to thing this could be something else. The car did stumble a couple times around 6000-7000 rpm. The wires are new, plugs are new. Any chance this could be a coil pack problem???

have u checked fuel pressure or for a possible faulty fuel pressure regulator? haveing a vacuum leak will only make the car run lean and you would trip a code for it. If your spark and firing order are good, u need to check fuel..air is a given.

Well after sealing up the LIM the idle did get better and both the lean codes went away. They were replaced with rich codes but I do have headers with no MIL eliminators. I'll be installing the mil eliminators in about 30 minutes as well as checking the coil pack. If there was a fuel delivery problem, I believe I'd also be throwing a lean code as well.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The UIM, LIM gaskets have about 1k on them. The PCV might be the issue, I have to look a little deeper at this. And the spaghetti lines are brand new and fine. This should be an easy fix but it's not turning out that way.

I know you said that your vac lines are good but just thought I would put my .02 in...ok my car was running EXACTLY like this a few weeks ago. It was the line to runs into the rear valve cover, towards the drivers side of the valve cover if that makes sense. I accidently pulled it off a bit when I was looking for the PVC valve. I couldnt even notice that it was not flush but after I took it off a reattached it the car ran perfect. Recheck all those hoses in the rear of the motor and those going to the PVC, but hey at least it runs strong up top...lol

Last edited:
I'll give them a re-check and see what's going on. I'm pretty sure they're on right though. My coil pack was running out of spec according to the autozone website but I'm not sure if this is the problem. Unde the secondary winding resistance test the range was supposed to be between 12.8 and 13.1 and mine ran 15.4 accross the board. I know they're out of spec but they're all consistent. Is this the problem or not?

Back