• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thought I share my new Product soon

Hostile? Not even close. I just don't care about barney'ing my tone so I dont offend vagtastic vahgines. Get to know me and you'll realize its nothing hostile. :shrug:
I don't know everything, but neither do you. Im just arguing my point.
Well, then the way you debate could use some work in my opinion. I'm not the sensitive type but the attitude I've seen from you and others on the site from the short time I've been here just seems pointlessly aggressive. Make your point without being sarcastic, inflammatory, etc. and the conversations are less like arguements.
Done with that topic, no hard feeling on my part.

Back to the comparison of the power adders.
You are correct and I believe other platforms will be able to handle the more instant torque better than a Contour.
Anybody that is FI or making good power on an SVTC should have an LSD, and that will help quite a bit.
I've only driven near stock Contours and I love the higher rpm pull, but you'd have to admit it is soft down low. That is much like the NA 4.6 4V Cobra motor (why I brought that up) and pumping up the low-mid range torque is why an Eaton is a good match for that type of motor, especially on the street.
Trust me, instant torque can be a very good thing. You'll find positive displacement blower cars are always the fastest accelerating from a roll in magazine tests (like Car and Driver street start and pssing gear tests)because the instant torque and throttle response is awesome.
-J

Well, then the way you debate could use some work in my opinion. I'm not the sensitive type but the attitude I've seen from you and others on the site from the short time I've been here just seems pointlessly aggressive. Make your point without being sarcastic, inflammatory, etc. and the conversations are less like arguements.
Done with that topic, no hard feeling on my part.

Back to the comparison of the power adders.
You are correct and I believe other platforms will be able to handle the more instant torque better than a Contour.
Anybody that is FI or making good power on an SVTC should have an LSD, and that will help quite a bit.
I've only driven near stock Contours and I love the higher rpm pull, but you'd have to admit it is soft down low. That is much like the NA 4.6 4V Cobra motor (why I brought that up) and pumping up the low-mid range torque is why an Eaton is a good match for that type of motor, especially on the street.
Trust me, instant torque can be a very good thing. You'll find positive displacement blower cars are always the fastest accelerating from a roll in magazine tests (like Car and Driver street start and pssing gear tests)because the instant torque and throttle response is awesome.
-J

A lot of us are overly aggressive towards new members that come off as know-it-alls.:shrug:

The 'softness' of the stock car only helps imo. beefing up the low end wont make it any easier to drive. especially not when you're tossing another 100+ at it.

Ease up a bit Pud; Both Mark and I drove (quite a bit) the Cougar Eliminator show car that SVT put together, with the Eaton boosted 3L, and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Granted, it was an M62, but it was spun a lot faster than an M90 would be. Roots blown engines are still pretty managable with throttle, so I'd anticipate an M90 car would still be quite drivable.

Can the extra torque be managable with some sort of boost controller?

Supercharger boost is set by the pulley size so its a bit different than a turbo. I'd imagine you could run a BOV that dumps air over a certain PSI in the lower rpms in the first and second gears but it isn't readily available as far as I know.

Ease up a bit Pud; Both Mark and I drove (quite a bit) the Cougar Eliminator show car that SVT put together, with the Eaton boosted 3L, and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Granted, it was an M62, but it was spun a lot faster than an M90 would be. Roots blown engines are still pretty managable with throttle, so I'd anticipate an M90 car would still be quite drivable.

Are you refering to the cougar S concept?

The Cougar S concept car was designed specifically for driving enthusiasts with a passion for high performance. With a 215 horsepower, 3.0 liter engine, an all-wheel drive system and 18-inch wheels and tires, the Cougar S is ready to handle any road condition.

Or the Cougar eliminator??

Cougar Eliminator concept car, named after the factory-tuned Cougar of 30 years ago. The Eliminator includes a list of modifications, including: a 2.5 Liter engine with a Vortech supercharger, K&N Air filter, Borla exhaust modifications, Brembo brake enhancements, performance wheels and tires and a modified suspension system that lowers the ride height 1.5 inches.

Last edited:
Are you refering to the cougar S concept?

The Cougar S concept car was designed specifically for driving enthusiasts with a passion for high performance. With a 215 horsepower, 3.0 liter engine, an all-wheel drive system and 18-inch wheels and tires, the Cougar S is ready to handle any road condition.

Or the Cougar eliminator??

Cougar Eliminator concept car, named after the factory-tuned Cougar of 30 years ago. The Eliminator includes a list of modifications, including: a 2.5 Liter engine with a Vortech supercharger, K&N Air filter, Borla exhaust modifications, Brembo brake enhancements, performance wheels and tires and a modified suspension system that lowers the ride height 1.5 inches.

The Cougar Eliminator. However, there were several iterations of it. One was the Vortech'ed 2.5L as you describe above, but another one was a 3.0L with a shaft driven Eaton M62.

The Cougar Eliminator. However, there were several iterations of it. One was the Vortech'ed 2.5L as you describe above, but another one was a 3.0L with a shaft driven Eaton M62.

I remember seeing pictures of it, does anyone have any they can post??

Rara do you remember who exactly did the R&D on this project? SVE? how many people etc.... Did you know them personally or did you just bare witness to the final results?

Either way thats great you got to drive it around. All i got to test drive was the concept ranger 3.0L vulcan whipple supercharger down in dearborn on the test track :). Years ago.

I remember seeing pictures of it, does anyone have any they can post??

Rara do you remember who exactly did the R&D on this project? SVE? how many people etc.... Did you know them personally or did you just bare witness to the final results?

Either way thats great you got to drive it around. All i got to test drive was the concept ranger 3.0L vulcan whipple supercharger down in dearborn on the test track :). Years ago.

It was an internal SVT project, and at the time, most of the legwork was contracted through Roush Engineering. The car was built before I worked for SVT, but I did know several of the guys involved quite well. The car was actually brought to Spring Zing '02 for the show and shine, IIRC Wordtour drove it out, and I drove it back.

It was an internal SVT project, and at the time, most of the legwork was contracted through Roush Engineering. The car was built before I worked for SVT, but I did know several of the guys involved quite well. The car was actually brought to Spring Zing '02 for the show and shine, IIRC Wordtour drove it out, and I drove it back.

Thanks for the reply. :cool:

So i must assume someone somewhere has photos of it.

so did the eaton powered eliminator also have that god awful looking quad exhaust?

this is the first I have heard of an alternate version of a prototype... wow...

seriously, photos, please!

Supercharger boost is set by the pulley size so its a bit different than a turbo. I'd imagine you could run a BOV that dumps air over a certain PSI in the lower rpms in the first and second gears but it isn't readily available as far as I know.

Actually you could just use the SC's built in bypass valve. The boost controller would just need to have it's solenoid connected to a vacuum reserve tank instead of a boost source.

I've been thinking about doing this on The HOC and running a smaller pulley all the time.

HTH,
BP

Actually you could just use the SC's built in bypass valve. The boost controller would just need to have it's solenoid connected to a vacuum reserve tank instead of a boost source.

I've been thinking about doing this on The HOC and running a smaller pulley all the time.

HTH,
BP

That would be if your supercharger has a built in bypass.

you can put a bypass in the piping just like you can with a BOV. you then could set it to bypass at a certain psi, but pulley the thing down so it would make peak boost (bypassing the extra at high rpms) so you would make more boost down low. this would increase the parasitic loss and create more heat, however.

you can put a bypass in the piping just like you can with a BOV. you then could set it to bypass at a certain psi, but pulley the thing down so it would make peak boost (bypassing the extra at high rpms) so you would make more boost down low. this would increase the parasitic loss and create more heat, however.
Yep, some good reading on this recently for Mustangs. Turbo People is well known for Mustang Turbo applications and came out with a kit like you mentioned for centifugal guys. Definitely helped the low-mid range and boost response from the article I saw.
-J

So is this project scrapped?

no not at all I am just trying to keep up with orders this is the busiest time of the year for performance parts. I have only a few open weeks left to complete some SZ2008 stuff so I will be finishing it up this summer. I will not ever give up on a project unless it is not possible. Joey

Back