• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thought I share my new Product soon

IMO....i think i would rather have a modified motor mount....being it would be more cost efficient on the project and or the resale......just my thought maybe it might be better with a hood scoop........

I like the idea of modified mounts anyways, as long as the axles and stuff are fine with it. Lower engine = lower center of gravity. I would just be concerned about the cost of that. Hmm... and the oil pan ground clearance.

Lowering the engine is going to effect some of the fixed coolant hoses, A/C hard lines, and a few other things. Exhaust alignment and oil pan/ground clearance are issues I'd also be concerned with. I'm thinking the cowl is the way to go.

EDIT:

Let's not forget that the SF to trans clearance is only about 1" with stock mounts......you can't lower the engine much at all.

Last edited:
good note with the subframe clearance, not to mention you would never be able to swap your control arms with the engine dropped any more... I like the idea but it definitely sounds like opening a can of worms.

good to see the update though, lookin good!

Subframe spacers maybe? (Yes, I know the added issues with other aspects, but it'd work)

A custom hood would be easier to pull off IMO. Keep up your hard work, it's coming along great.

you think the cowl hood would be enough?

its raised about 2in. right where the S/C would be mounted, provided you cut out a portion of the reinforcement

IMG_0830.jpg

Subframe spacers maybe? (Yes, I know the added issues with other aspects, but it'd work)

A custom hood would be easier to pull off IMO. Keep up your hard work, it's coming along great.
Just FYI, GT500 guys are using subframe spacers to use a 3.4 Whipple and keep the stock hood and Ford themselves did it on engineering prototypes, so that is a viable option.
Is it the best one, :shrug:
Might take a combination of things for that pulley to clear a hood.
Maybe a smaller pulley :laugh:
-J

Just FYI, GT500 guys are using subframe spacers to use a 3.4 Whipple and keep the stock hood and Ford themselves did it on engineering prototypes, so that is a viable option.
-J

Guys were doing it w/ 5.4 swaps in to GT's and Mach's before the GT500 was out.

-J

Subframe spacers may effect he steering connection to the column, the radiator mounting, a/c accumulator mounting. Also, go too low with the SF and you're into the exhaust.

Subframe spacers may effect he steering connection to the column, the radiator mounting, a/c accumulator mounting. Also, go too low with the SF and you're into the exhaust.
Good to know, like I said, might take a combination of things:
subframe spacers, lowered mounts, hood and smaller pulley
Got to love R&D.
-J

Even those issues wouldn't be that big of a deal really.

Special mounts or spacers that allow the A/C acc and Rad to drop the most without having to dick with redo'ing any actual lines or connections *might* be an option. Wether you're adding a spacer below the A/C acc and rad to keep them at OEM position (if the lines will allow that) or if you're dropping them all the way with the subframe..... or to a happy medium point that keeps things kosher. If it's in the 2-3" range, there might be enough slack in the lines to undo some securing points on the AC lines and slightly bend them to get what you need out of them.

The exhaust can be cleared up by 2 possible ways. Either a simple addition of a few 45* bends and a flex pipe, or a nice true dual exhaust system designed from the start to clear the dropped SF.

The steering shaft can be lengthend, a spacer type shaft can be added or a telescoping type setup could be made fairly easily. When people add body lifts to trucks, this is a very common practice.

If you still have issues with clearance, a custom hood would be a nice touch to wrap up an increasingly interesting Contour :ponder:

Also possible fuel line issues (extensions could be fairly easily fab'd up), throttle cable/CC...... I'm sure there are a few other things....

Last edited:
Just get a diff hood. Makes way more sense than lowering the engine and having issues with lines needing to be lengthend, oil pans dragging around, exhausts that dont work anymore, etc. etc.

Back