• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Running around with the Speed until the Mini comes in

what buildings are those in the back ground? Some are pretty cool.

Wow, first to comment on them...

They were originally designed for Fore Systems which became Marconi, which is now Ericsson. The buildings were given the appearance that they are not structurally sound (or falling down). Inside, the buildings are given the same aesthetics...almost looks as if you’re best taking the stairs over the elevator.

This is the only other image I could find on this and I do believe the architects won various awards for these.

_FOREBLD.GIF

There was some oil in my garage...but most of it is being caught in that plastic shield that goes under the engine.

As for the smoke...looks grey to me (not white or blue anyway). I thought at first maybe it was the ecu running rich as I get black soot around the pipes too...but I think there's too much of it just to be that.

What's the chance it could just be a fouled plug?

ok.... the plastic shield is so easy to remove... i think there are about 7 little 10mm bolts that hold it on, but be warned.... the clips with the nuts that hold them on LOVE to strip and be annoying. if all goes well, then it just comes right off. once that is gone, it is easier to see where the leak is coming from, and exactly how bad it is. those covers are SOO annoying!!

as for the grey smoke, i'm gonna have to look into that. i'll ask some of the guys in the shop tomorrow and get back to you. is it just under hard acceleration? or does it just randomly happen? and is there any funny smell that goes along with it? lemme know, and i'll check it out for you! if you wanna just pm me, if you don't want to keep this thread continuous, i've been making an effort to be on the bordes more nowadays!! :eek:

Jacquie

ok.... the plastic shield is so easy to remove... i think there are about 7 little 10mm bolts that hold it on, but be warned.... the clips with the nuts that hold them on LOVE to strip and be annoying. if all goes well, then it just comes right off. once that is gone, it is easier to see where the leak is coming from, and exactly how bad it is. those covers are SOO annoying!!

as for the grey smoke, i'm gonna have to look into that. i'll ask some of the guys in the shop tomorrow and get back to you. is it just under hard acceleration? or does it just randomly happen? and is there any funny smell that goes along with it? lemme know, and i'll check it out for you! if you wanna just pm me, if you don't want to keep this thread continuous, i've been making an effort to be on the bordes more nowadays!! :eek:

Jacquie

I take the shield off to change the oil...from looking I can tell you it's coming from the passenger side. May be the transfer case seal?

As for the smoke...I would say just under hard acceleration (mostly from a start or second gear). Simetimes it's hard to notice, other times it easy to see. Others with the MS6 have been able to duplicate by letting it idle for an extended time then blipping the throttle...I have not. Also, no smells that I can tell of. BTW, I aprreciate the help.

There are MANY mods for the R53 MINI (2002-2006) and its kinda wierd that the 07' convertable is the previous car too:crazy:

I take the shield off to change the oil...from looking I can tell you it's coming from the passenger side. May be the transfer case seal?

As for the smoke...I would say just under hard acceleration (mostly from a start or second gear). Simetimes it's hard to notice, other times it easy to see. Others with the MS6 have been able to duplicate by letting it idle for an extended time then blipping the throttle...I have not. Also, no smells that I can tell of. BTW, I aprreciate the help.

hey no problem!!! i'm gonna just take that info with me to work tomorrow.... i'll see what i can dig up! maybe i'll check my speed manuals (their the bibles of our shop) and see if there is anything in there either! either way, i'm quite curious myself to see what this issue is. i hope i can help! i'll let you know!

jacquie

Thanks again Jacquie, I appreciate it.

Hey no problem... sorry it took so long but here's the verdict...

So grey smoke... i was told this is pretty normal in the speed. it just indicates the engine is running a bit rich, but no big deal. there are a few things that you can look out for,though, just incase. what kind of oil did you have put in? we received a bulletin at work saying that anything thinner than 5w30 would cause some smoke. if its hot out, make it even thicker! um, if the smoke is white and puffy, that's not good! that would indicate burning coolant, and that of course would point to a cracked head gasket (very bad!!!) the only other things this could be would be either valve seals, piston rings, or something along those lines. one of the other mechanics suggested to start with an oil change and go from there. if the smoke is minimal, then chances are, its pretty normal...

hope that helps you out a bit!! if you have any more questions, just drop me a pm or something and i'll see what i can find out! :eek:

jacquie

Joey, BRING THE MAZDA TO THE CRUISE!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: It was good to meet you last weekend. Car looks super hawt!!! Def. need to bring it on a Friday.

BTW, I got my first deer right where that building now stands, long time ago. Thought the building looked familiar.

Back