• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Woohoo! 3.2L Baby!!!!

And one day this week, I have to go to the MI Secretary of State to get raped for tax and registration . . .

Tell me about it. Nothing like another 2 grand on top of your purchase price...

those cars really make me moist. I was looking for a similar one, but didn't want to deal with it in the winter. and i was trying to avoid having 2 cars...though that might be changing soon :crazy:

Tell me about it. Nothing like another 2 grand on top of your purchase price...

those cars really make me moist. I was looking for a similar one, but didn't want to deal with it in the winter. and i was trying to avoid having 2 cars...though that might be changing soon :crazy:

There are ways around the sales tax on the registration. da doo da doo doo da.

Depends on how cool the previous owner is. LOL!

Yup! Lets go to a notary and have this form signed saying it was a "gift".......or if you know a "shady" notary just have them stamp the form while you do the sigs. Also in MN as long as the vehicle is 10 years old or older AND you paid less than $3000 for it, then there is only a $10 flat rate fee for sales tax. But, if the book value is way more than $3000 for a 10 year old car (i.e. ferarri) and you put that down then you need to have the vehicle inspected buy a body shop/mechanics and have them write why they got it so cheap. I could go on and on thouhg

Last edited:
Depends on how cool the previous owner is. LOL! No really I bought it for 8k.

well, every DMV has a "fair market value" number that if you come in very much under, you've got some 'splaining to do.

or, god forbid if your car gets totalled and your insurance company says...gee, well you only paid 8k for that car so that's all we're gonna give you for it. though i've never seen that happen, it's possible.

well, every DMV has a "fair market value" number that if you come in very much under, you've got some 'splaining to do.

or, god forbid if your car gets totalled and your insurance company says...gee, well you only paid 8k for that car so that's all we're gonna give you for it. though i've never seen that happen, it's possible.

Umm I bought it with a bad engine. Case closed!

Autobhn

Glwstck

Skywlkr

I was trying to make Firestarter work but couldn't think of a 7 letter way to do it

i really like the darthvadar thinking about getting that for the bike

or like barge

332 whp

Umm I bought it with a bad engine. Case closed!

true. i was only able to finagle with the taxes a little bit cause while the volvo was bought from a private seller, the guy had it under his company for insurance purposes and such...so there wasn't much wiggle room for him.

true. i was only able to finagle with the taxes a little bit cause while the volvo was bought from a private seller, the guy had it under his company for insurance purposes and such...so there wasn't much wiggle room for him.

Not to mention that if you tell them that you bought it significantly under book, they will charge you tax on the fair market value. You can't expect the government not to get their revenue can you?

in NY you have to fill out a form if it's under fair market value...which they don't bust your chops as long as it's filled out right...but yeah i guess if it's way too low i imagine they'll say something. unless you just gift it and give the cash on the side. I couldn't do much with the cash cause of the sellers situation. I mean i showed up with 23k in cash when i test drove the car and the guy was like "i'd love to but i can't take that"

my form wasn't filled out right and the lady was like " i have to charge you fair market value." their number was like 19k for the R...which i had said i purchased it for 18k, even though i got it for 23k, so the difference in tax was only like 200 bucks...

Back