• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CEL Question

homerjca

New CEG'er
Hi all, quick question. My CEL has been on for the last few weeks. Finally got the chance to get it scanned and nothing showed up. The light was on steady but over the last few days it isn't coming on anymore. It wasn't on when the tech scanned it, should the code(s) from before not be saved? Tech says it may be a bad gas cap as it first came on after I filled up...any thoughts? :confused:

Hi all, quick question. My CEL has been on for the last few weeks. Finally got the chance to get it scanned and nothing showed up. The light was on steady but over the last few days it isn't coming on anymore. It wasn't on when the tech scanned it, should the code(s) from before not be saved? Tech says it may be a bad gas cap as it first came on after I filled up...any thoughts? :confused:
It could be a bad gas cap or a host of different things. The code is saved but then if the issue does not come on for a few cycles (some codes need more cycles to come or off), the PCM turns the code off. You may have an intermittent issue which come on, then went away. The next time the code comes on, scan it right away and then post the code(s).

Note that your '95 does NOT use OBDII (just like mine). This also means some techs might not be as familiar with it. And it also means you can just dump the codes yourself with a paper clip!

There are lots of procedures out there to do it; here's one:

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

See method 2. Yes, a paper clip will work in a pinch.

Last edited:
Note that your '95 does NOT use OBDII (just like mine). This also means some techs might not be as familiar with it. And it also means you can just dump the codes yourself with a paper clip!

There are lots of procedures out there to do it; here's one:

http://www.corral.net/tech/maintenance/eecivtest.html

See method 2. Yes, a paper clip will work in a pinch.
Correct. And I think the code reader is only $35 and the connector is next to the driver side strut tower.

Back