• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mind Games

RawBurt

Hard-core CEG'er
Maybe its just me, I dont know. I notice a huge difference in my car when I'm giving people rides/ riding solo. Basically it feels like when i'm cruising around by myself, my car freaking rips. But when I'm giving someone a ride, it feels slow, well not slow just not as fast. Its always been like this boosted/ non boosted.

I know this is kind of a dumb post but I was just wondering if anyone else feels this... lol?

LMAO, I knew someone was going to say something about wieght. I'm assuming weight doesnt factor in, because it doesnt. In all in my head.

It feels the same way to me as well. but what is even stranger is how when my dad takes me for a ride in his turbo coupe it feels faster when he drives it.

I do notice mine doesn't take off nearly as energetically with 2 or 3 good size passengers. Weight isn't the reason? 400-500 extra lbs definitely degrades performance noticeably.

I think it is all in your head. I feel the same way all the time: it feels slower, then I spend more money on mods!:laugh:

100lbs is roughly 3.33% the weight of the car. That's not completely insignificant. But air temperature/humidity seems to make a bigger difference in performance than my girlfriend whom weighs 90lbs or so. Overall, I think weather conditions play a greater role in these mind games than we may think.

Every car that I've been both a passenger and driver in feels faster as the passenger than as the driver.

Yea i got the same feeling when i drove people around in my contour.

My friends Turbo miata seems like a fuggen rocket when he gives me a ride in it. But when i get in it and drive it just feels slow. It is something in the head that makes it less intense.

Not your imagination

Not your imagination

I've noticed that acceleration/braking/turning feels more intense if you are riding instead of driving. I have to drive "different" with my parents in the car. When you drive, you expect the results, so it takes a lot of power to make the ride exciting for the driver. The passengers get the grab handles on the roof...I notice the full gas tank slows the car, worse on my old Dodge Lancer than the Mystique.

Burt...ive rode in Jeffs car with him and another person, and he was commenting on the same thing. He said its amazing how much of a difference a couple people make in the accelerateion and overall feel of the car.

Burt...ive rode in Jeffs car with him and another person, and he was commenting on the same thing. He said its amazing how much of a difference a couple people make in the accelerateion and overall feel of the car.

It's not really amazing... Two adult males will probably weigh 300-400lbs. That's 10-13% the weight of the car. This will and should be especially noticeable from a dead stop.

with my car packed full for a camping trip + ~160lb friend, it felt like i was towing something large.
still got up and moving, just made her work for it a little more :p

when you drive, you are also braces against the steering wheel, your feet are pushing up against the dead pedal and the gas pedel and the clutch and brakes, the passsanger sits there and doesnt know whats about to happen...

anytime i let my mechanic drive my car, it feels faster then when i drive it alone, but when i drive with him in the passenger seat, feels dog slow(hes like 220) its jsut the edxtra weight, and the passenger feels it more

when you drive, you are also braces against the steering wheel, your feet are pushing up against the dead pedal and the gas pedel and the clutch and brakes, the passsanger sits there and doesnt know whats about to happen...

I think you've definitely nailed it right there.
I have noticed this too.

Back