• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Opinions on repair manuals

diviniti

CEG'er
What is everyones opinions on the repair manuals available for
the contour?

I know Chilton vs. Haynes, for a lot of other vehicles; Chilton is the better choice. It always seems that Haynes just lacks some info usually.

Or should I just say screw it and buy the factory repair volumes?

:shrug:

I bought the 3 volume set of factory manuals off Ebay for about $40.00 bucks. I figured they know more about it than the rest, and the trouble-shooting guides are invaluable. I looked at the Haynes, but decided it wasn't worth the $20 price tag.

How many alts did you put in? LOL! Guess you have more time than I do. I like having everything on paper in front of me.

How many alts did you put in? LOL! Guess you have more time than I do. I like having everything on paper in front of me.

Somewhere between 5 to 10. lol

That is true about having everything in front of you though, it sucks having to run down in the basement to look something up, and in the process get the mouse and keyboard all greasy.

Somewhere between 5 to 10. lol

That is true about having everything in front of you though, it sucks having to run down in the basement to look something up, and in the process get the mouse and keyboard all greasy.

and my laptop battary isn't what it used to be. I had that with me sometimes when I am doing stuff.

I used the Haynes manual for my GL pretty frequently.
There were times when it left out some details, but overall we were able to make due with it.

todras, does your cd cover everything the haynes would, or more?
Or is it the ford manual copied to CD? If it is, I'll buy one of them from ya.

todras, does your cd cover everything the haynes would, or more?
Or is it the ford manual copied to CD? If it is, I'll buy one of them from ya.
Get the Ford CD manual from todras. It does not have pictures but it has all the instructions per Ford and has schematics. If you need pictures, get the Haynes Manual too. I have both and use both of them in addition to using the search feature on this site for info. :cool:

I got a Haynes book, but like a couple have said they seem to lack picks. Or maybe it's just that its for the 95. The one I got for the 98 Taurus seems to have a few more pics and detail.

Ford service cd is also good. A quick google will find you some for free.

Back