• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

bad hot starts

ace66malibu

New CEG'er
After getting to operating temp for anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hrs and turning off car, my 1995 2.0 is a dog to start back up. Like I have to give it gas just to get it to even start firing and if I turn it over long enough I can get it started. BTW this car has 196,000 miles on it. All original other than the timing belts that have been done and water pumps.

Any thoughts?

If holding the throttle slightly open allows the engine to start, a likely cause is a problem with the IAC. This is more common with a cold engine, but can happen with a hot engine depending on what it takes to make the IAC stick.

There are certainly other posibilities as well. Crank or cam sensors often act up when hot when they fail.

Check out the IAC and let us know what happens. If it is the IAC it should easily start by holding the throttle slightly open. If this is the case, try cleaning it and if it doesn't respond to cleaning, replace it. If it doesn't easily start by holding the throttle slightly open, look elsewhere.

Thanks, I'll try that. Any thoughts that it might be something in the coil packs. Not sure if that made sense or not.

Don’t over look the ECT sensor. If it is bad it will cause the PCM to use the cold start program. In other words, too rich of a mixture for a warm start. You can check it warm with an ohm meter or the next time it won’t start simply jump it out with a 100 ohm resistor. If the engine starts you have your culprit. Don’t confuse the ECT with the temp gauge sender.

jeff

Last edited:
Back