• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What's in a Name? GS, SE, etc,.

satur9poet

CEG'er
This might be a dumb question, but my owner's manual says nothing about my Mystique's particular model (GS, Touring Edition). What's the difference between the base model and the GS, etc? What the heck do the letters stand for?:shrug:

In Mercurys GS is base, LS is higher trim level, fancier wheels, interior. You can have a GS with a V6 and an LS with a Zetec. The Touring Edition may be a better suspension with just some dealer badges added. In Buicks, GS was top, LS regular, Honda LX base, EX fancier, no standard patterns.:crazy:

Related to my initial question is the fact that the car has a Sony 10 disc CD changer and I'm trying to find out if it is original or the previous owner had it installed at a later time. The guy I bought it from is an elderly gentleman who bought it secondhand from his daughter and, in his own words, said he doesn't know anything about using "those record players", lol!

Seeing that I'm a Mystique owner of exactly 2 months, I don't know squat about the options that come with the '98s. Regardless, it's fun to have around!

A dealer-installed CD changer was available in 1998+ models...does it have the factory cassette? And where is the CD changer located?

Wow...my brain hurts after reading that!:dizzy:

Basically every car has a bunch of different letters Associated with different options.

So like... For the pre98 contour, the GL model came with the basic suspension and gave you a bunch of options, whether you wanted a V6 or the I4, or power windows they all could be added for a low price. Basically all of the same options were avaliable for every model year (except leather seats, you couldnt get that on the GL). The Differences between the GL, the LX and the SE were the suspension setup. The GL was the base suspension rode fine, performed fine. The LX gave you a softer touring suspension which made the car a little more comfortable. The SE gave you the sport suspension and I believe a bigger rear sway bar.

I believe GL stood for Grande Luxe, LX = Luxury and SE stood for Special Edition.

For the Mystique GS = Grande Sedan and LS = Luxery Sedan

A dealer-installed CD changer was available in 1998+ models...does it have the factory cassette? And where is the CD changer located?

It still has the factory cassette player and radio. The CD changer is in the trunk and the module is under the radio, next to the cig. lighter.

If it blatantly says Sony on the changer, its aftermarket. The module is also another sure sign. The setup you've got there did not come with the car.

Since you have the factory deck in the dash, perhaps the CD changer is configured to use an FM modulator, where you can only listen to the CD player when the radio is tuned to a select station -- a common, economical method of installing aftermarket CD players.

I'm sorry to cause brain pain! Maybe you could get a Sony radio that connects directly to the changer as a future upgrade:cool:

If it blatantly says Sony on the changer, its aftermarket. The module is also another sure sign. The setup you've got there did not come with the car.

Since you have the factory deck in the dash, perhaps the CD changer is configured to use an FM modulator, where you can only listen to the CD player when the radio is tuned to a select station -- a common, economical method of installing aftermarket CD players.

I think you're wrong. In the 1999 model year Mystique brochure, it shows the optional CD changer and it looks to be FM modulated. Why on Earth Ford couldn't have just put in a new-style Ford stereo with changer controls is beyond me.

This might be a dumb question, but my owner's manual says nothing about my Mystique's particular model (GS, Touring Edition). What's the difference between the base model and the GS, etc? What the heck do the letters stand for?:shrug:

OK man, I have the original brochure for the '98 Mystique in my hands right now. Major differences between the GS and LS in 1998 through 2000 was that GS's were strictly 4 cylinders and LS's were strictly V-6's.

Option differences between between the GS's and LS's as follows:

LS's had these options above the GS level:

SECURILOCK Anti-theft system
Illuminated visor mirror (passenger side)
10-way power driver's seat
rear window defroster
front and rear floor mats
Duratec V-6 System (2.5 DOHC V-6 engine, Performance turned steering and suspension, 100,000 mile scheduled tune-up, Securilock Anti-theft system)
Variable intermittant wipers
Fog lamps

I've got a '99 Mystique, and by then, they added leather upholstery as standard, and for my particular car, at least, the moonroof was a no-cost option. I find no mention of a "Touring Edition" version.

I think you're wrong. In the 1999 model year Mystique brochure, it shows the optional CD changer and it looks to be FM modulated. Why on Earth Ford couldn't have just put in a new-style Ford stereo with changer controls is beyond me.
Yes but was it made by Sony??? That would be the proof of aftermarket or optional from the factory equipment. I guess the dealer could have installed it but I would think they'd want to keep it "all Ford" as well.
Karl

Theres also the "sport" package (not to be confused with sport edition.)

In the pre-98's as best i can tell it entails 6 spoke alloy wheels and i believe a tuned suspension of some kind.

Yes but was it made by Sony??? That would be the proof of aftermarket or optional from the factory equipment. I guess the dealer could have installed it but I would think they'd want to keep it "all Ford" as well.
Karl

Why wouldn't it be? Someone has to build the stereos that Ford uses. My Subie came with Clarion from the factory and my Audi uses all Blaupunkt equipment from the factory. Remeember, there was a Sony edition Focus a few years back. I dunno. I just have a hunch that the CD changer is one of the dealer specials.

Why wouldn't it be? Someone has to build the stereos that Ford uses. My Subie came with Clarion from the factory and my Audi uses all Blaupunkt equipment from the factory. Remeember, there was a Sony edition Focus a few years back. I dunno. I just have a hunch that the CD changer is one of the dealer specials.
Well, yeah, somebody has to make them but they don't usually have their name on the units. Back in the day it was Philco but they had a relationship with Ford so it didn't matter that the Philco name was on the radio. When I worked for Mercedes, their radios said Becker. Apparently many import car companies don't have a subsidiary to manufacture their entertainment systems.
Karl

Yep, that's what I suspect. The owner's manual came with a separate manual to operate the radio and it made no mention of a CD changer anywhere. And yes, you need to set the radio to a certain station for it to play CD's.

i thought se was sport? i could be mistaken though
Basically every car has a bunch of different letters Associated with different options.

So like... For the pre98 contour, the GL model came with the basic suspension and gave you a bunch of options, whether you wanted a V6 or the I4, or power windows they all could be added for a low price. Basically all of the same options were avaliable for every model year (except leather seats, you couldnt get that on the GL). The Differences between the GL, the LX and the SE were the suspension setup. The GL was the base suspension rode fine, performed fine. The LX gave you a softer touring suspension which made the car a little more comfortable. The SE gave you the sport suspension and I believe a bigger rear sway bar.

I believe GL stood for Grande Luxe, LX = Luxury and SE stood for Special Edition.

For the Mystique GS = Grande Sedan and LS = Luxery Sedan

i think all the changers factory installed were ran through the radio, as in my zx2 it has buttons for disc 1-6 and all that jazz. mine has no brand on it, it just says compact disc, and i thought all factory changers were 6 disc.

i think all the changers factory installed were ran through the radio, as in my zx2 it has buttons for disc 1-6 and all that jazz. mine has no brand on it, it just says compact disc, and i thought all factory changers were 6 disc.

The Contique never had a factory installed CD changer though IIRC, it was dealer installed (much like the add-on CD changer that turned 95-96 Mystique LS stereos into CD/Cassette). The Contique used the same radio in it's life, only difference being some had clocks and some didn't.

Back