• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

got my test pipe today.

S2Knott

Hard-core CEG'er
so i ordered a test pipe a while back and it finally arrived today, its SS but was VERY dirty out of the box, anyways after polishing it i noticed its got a bunch of scratches and the welds arent that clean, its just not something that i wouldve expected brand new from a company.

i dunno maybe im too critical? but has anyone experienced this before? its all little stuff and im too lazy to take pics.

anyways, im not even sure if i will install it because im not even sure if my car will start. i dunno.

lets say i go to install it, whats the best way to get off those old rusty bolts w/o damaging them? because its a NE car so its going to be so rusty.

Best way to do it is just soak the bolts with pb blaster or something similar. Do this a couple times over a day more or less and then try it. Thats what I did and eventually they broke (loosened). I wouldnt worry much about the welds if they are just not cosmetically good, but functionally good. If thats the case, who cares as long as all the seams are sealed well, you should be ok. But even if their not, you could always throw the cat back on it.

its a test pipe dude, it goes under the car, it doesnt have to have a mirror finish. Drive 5 miles and it will be dirty anyway.

Yeah, seriously. WTF would you need it polished for? It looks like that for a reason. It's an exhaust pipe!

Stainless steal doesn't automatically equal shiny.

thanks, got all the answers i needed.

now on a second though, with a test pipe, magnalfow resonator, and straight pipes, am i going to be getting any rasp? ive heard different things from everyone ive talked to so i dont know.

most likely, but what does it matter...you already bought it. Put it on, and if you don't like it take it off.

thanks, got all the answers i needed.

now on a second though, with a test pipe, magnalfow resonator, and straight pipes, am i going to be getting any rasp? ive heard different things from everyone ive talked to so i dont know.

I'd say it's gonna rasp. Straight pipes and just a resonator will sound like poo.

right now ive got the rear mufflers disconnected with the stock resonator, and i love the sound! its a little raspy but it sounds mean, im gunna put the magnaflow on which shoould kill that rasp then install the test pipe.

If the bolts looks rusty, save some time and get some new bolts, put an impact on tighten and make quick work of them. Put in new bolts - easy as pie.

I would say hell yeah it will rasp! i run stock mufflers with res. delete and it sounds nice. only rasps when cold for the first couple minutes.

i'd put on the test pipe, rez delete, and stock mufflers. with just a test pipe and a mag res it will be really raspy

I'm running a borla cat-back with the tru bendz test pipe and the sound is :drool:,It def sound better than any cat back I have heard,of course excluding headers and or tru duals..I say put it on!

I'm running a borla cat-back with the tru bendz test pipe and the sound is :drool:,It def sound better than any cat back I have heard,of course excluding headers and or tru duals..I say put it on!

Is yours the original Borla or the Trubendz Borla and does your Trubendz test have a hi-flo cat?? Any sound clips??

If its the original Borla that is what I will be putting on very soon along w/ the Trubendz test w/ hi-flo cat, WR headers and WR Y. I can't wait! I need some sound clips to hold me over :laugh:

Yes it is the Original Borla catback,the test pipe does not have a cat on it.Unfortunatly I don't have a sound clip,sorry i wish I could get one but the car is getting some work done.Your set up will sound like pure bliss man!!make sure to put up some sound clips of it.I should have headers on mine in a couple months so I'm right there with you...I can't wait!

Cool well thanks for the response. Yea kinda hard to get a clip if its in the shop :laugh:. Well guess I'll just have to wait till I get everything on to hear it.

hmm i cant wait to get this exhaust done but when i think about it....i need a new engine first.

once i get a rebuild im going to do that test pipe to magnaflow to straight pipes and we will see how it sounds because i dont think anyone is sure of what it will sound like because no one has this setup. (to my knowledge)

Next weekend my exhaust setup will concist of Stock Headers, Bat Y-pipe, Magnaflow Res and stock Mufflers.

I'll be ordering msds headers in the next couple months to add to the setup, but i think i want to keep the stock mufflers. i like the sound they produce with the mag resanator. besides it'll be 2.5" all they way back. no more reducing down areas! ill have some quality 3.5" angle cut tips welded in place of the stock tips tho. that should make a slight sound difference along with everything else = :drool:

hmm i cant wait to get this exhaust done but when i think about it....i need a new engine first.

once i get a rebuild im going to do that test pipe to magnaflow to straight pipes and we will see how it sounds because i dont think anyone is sure of what it will sound like because no one has this setup. (to my knowledge)

It will most likely sound very similar to these clips -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhfB-3ZtBFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPBFHKX6M14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxMx5KgBIo

That setup actually has the stock manifolds with precats, two resonators, no main cat and no mufflers.

Next weekend my exhaust setup will concist of Stock Headers, Bat Y-pipe, Magnaflow Res and stock Mufflers.

I'll be ordering msds headers in the next couple months to add to the setup, but i think i want to keep the stock mufflers. i like the sound they produce with the mag resanator. besides it'll be 2.5" all they way back. no more reducing down areas! ill have some quality 3.5" angle cut tips welded in place of the stock tips tho. that should make a slight sound difference along with everything else = :drool:

I had that exact setup on my 3L. You'll be pleased to know you can go with a set of WeaponR or MSDS headers and not have the exhaust any louder than it is with that setup. The bat y is loud.

The bat y is loud.

Especially with no cat on the bat pipe.

I had that setup for along time stock manifold bat-y with magnaflow resonator and stock mufflers. I loved it. I removed the cat material and gained ever more low end. I loved that setup...

Now i have headers and when i put the bat pipe on it rasps. i even put the stock resonator on with my stock mufflers. It still rasps.

Oh well all stock exhaust with msds headers and y-pipe ftw/l.

Back