• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour SVT Name

Its worth noting that the Acura/Honda powerplant was a gutless worm in the low end, and needed to have the heck revved out of it for real response. You could make more torque pissing into a pinwheel.

The 2.5L SVT engine is no Ford 460 for torque, but it is a much more balanced affair and has a far more satisfying midrange, as well as top end.

Kudos to Ford for giving us a quality six.

yeah, when I was pick up my parts car in the cities I used the truck to tow it back and it has a 460. I didn't even need to step on the gas to get it to start moving with a car behind it and going up hill.

ford already used the falcon name in australia on a taurus variation i think. Kinda like the mondeo is to the contour.

The BF Falcon seems a tremendous car. I'd love to own one. It sits on totally different bones than the Taurus, as it sports a rear drive setup.

Just in case you haven't read them, here are a couple of great articles about them. I love the extensive color palette available. And the ute is pretty cool, too.

042920061239545076.jpg

http://www.caranddriver.com/specialtyfiles/8210/specialty-file-ford-falcon-xr6-turbo.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...r6-turbo-focus-st-and-territory-ghia-awd.html

How about the SVT Contour Zenith? It was the pinnacle of the model line, no?

C'mon just... think history... The Ford Falcon was a great car, but what was the kick-ass model of it called... The Thunderbolt....
Oh yeah... SVT Contour Thunderbolt (yes I know SVT built 1 Bronco back during the Gen 1 production run of the Lightning and called it the Thunderbolt).

C'mon just... think history... The Ford Falcon was a great car, but what was the kick-ass model of it called... The Thunderbolt....
Oh yeah... SVT Contour Thunderbolt (yes I know SVT built 1 Bronco back during the Gen 1 production run of the Lightning and called it the Thunderbolt).

i saw a new ford ranger 2 days ago with a thunderbolt emblem on it. Does anyone know if this is an actual truck or just some tard sticking things on his truck? Kinda like those that put GT-R on their V6 camaro.

There was a "Thunderbolt" Ranger designed as a baby Lightning, but it never made production(obviously). Basically a Lightning engine somehow sledgehammered into a rangers engine bay, with a handling and body kit. And I would REALLY REALLY like to have one of them.

why not take the color of your car and use it as a base for a svtc name add on. such as t- red would be a t-rex, silver frost would be a freeze or frosty, etc.etc.etc....so as each owner can have a mild variation from one color to the next. this may not be original but many people seem to think there car is better than yours. so this line of thinking may satisfy one owner to the next. or maybe not....personally i don't want my svtc to have an european name as my car is american and as am I. I personally have a silver svtc and would like to call it a 'midnight freeze' because I like to drive at night and drive away from the comp as if it was frozen.:laugh:

The Contour and the Focus were pathetic attempts at performance cars.

They ran decent in stock form but needed more power (why didnt we just get the 3L to begin with??? Why no LSD??? Why is the clutch crappy???)

The Cobra and Lightning actually made decent power and had beefed up everything.
1.In your opinion. Most of the arguements on this board could be eliminated if people wouldn't state things as fact when there's no way that they actually are fact.

2.They did get more power than stock. As to the why's, perhaps Ford was trying to keep the costs down.

3.Yes, after they were beefed up. The vehicles they evolved from didn't by most accounts.

Im Curious to Know if there were and Code names during Engineering and Building for the SVT Contour . I read a great book on the O3-04 Cobra Build called "Lead Foot, Iron Fist" i believe. It was about John Colletti's envolvement of the Build, etc. Anyways, As we all know the 03-04 Cobras were nicked named the "Terminator". As they came up with tha name, they wanted this car to be the one that "Terminate the Competition". Thats how it got its name. Other SVT's had build names as well. The 05-06 Shelby GT500 was nicked named "The Condor", and The Ford GT (40) was nicked named "Petunia" (IIRC) They though that would be funny. Also I think reading that the SVT Focus was called "Piranha"

What about the SVT Contour?

There was a "Thunderbolt" Ranger designed as a baby Lightning, but it never made production(obviously). Basically a Lightning engine somehow sledgehammered into a rangers engine bay, with a handling and body kit. And I would REALLY REALLY like to have one of them.

the one i saw was red and did have a different body kit on it but i didnt get a look at the exhaust. i'll probably see it again soon.

what about 5.0's? Stock of course. I have never bothered to look into what they run.

i've beaten one, from a 20mph roll in 2nd to about 80. if we would have continued, i would have kepy walking him after the shift to 4th. i can't say it would have been the same result from a dead stop, nor for all 5.0's, but i got that one.

Back