• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

transmission resting on subframe?

zetec herman

CEG'er
It looks as if the transmission is resting on the subframe. I know there was a picture of it somewhere on the site. I cannot locate it. Does anyone have any pictures of it resting on the subframe?

TIA

THe transmission does not sit on the subframe. Its held up by the two upper mounts in the engine bay, and the two role resistors that hold it on the subframe.

Its technically doesnt sit on it, but just attached to it for stability. You could drop the entire subframe assembly and have the engine and tranny rest on the two upper mounts.

Does that mean it's okay if it's touching the subframe.

Back in January I had a servo cover leak fixed at a transmission shop.

Nothing was said about something being wrong. I just thought it looked funny.

I'll look under the car in the next day or 2 and try to see if my tranny is close to the support member. I would think that if it is touching or rubbing something either motor mounts or the front or rear support mounts are alittle worn out and need to be replaced.
I'll let you know what I see.
Frank

The ATX transaxle should not sit on the subframe. If it does, the transaxle to driver fender mount needs to be changed.

Edit. Read this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=4977&highlight=tranny+mount

In one of the linked threads (on the old forums), I indicated that I was installing the Anchor replacement on my V6 'tour.

Less than 6 months later, the tranny was already back on the SF.

Have to give that mount a "two thumbs down" rating for poor service life......

Steve

In one of the linked threads (on the old forums), I indicated that I was installing the Anchor replacement on my V6 'tour.

Less than 6 months later, the tranny was already back on the SF.

Have to give that mount a "two thumbs down" rating for poor service life......

Steve
I thought yours was a different brand with a name starting with "P"?

And did you torque it to 100 lb-feet (actually specs is 75 to 105 lb feet.

Mine was installed in October 06. 7 months and 15K miles later, mine is still going on strong.

Last edited:
Just crawled out from under the car and found that the tranny is close to the subframe-it is not touching any part of it. You may want to use a small jack under the tranny and raise it and see if the driver side mount moves. You might want to use a second pair of eyes.
Frank

Mine looks like the picture. But i don't feel or see any movement.

I had a friend look at it and he thought it was alright. I think its been
like this during my entire ownership (2 years). Do you think its hurting
anything to let it go a little while longer?

Last edited:
If it looks like
tranny.jpg
You need a new mount. It would be noisy too.

What's NVH?

I took it to the my mechanic. He said yeah its the tranny mount. He even told me it was quite commom. Problem fixed. Boy, those mounts don't raise them much above the SF, but just enough to clear them.

He told me it was good that I caught it now because the tranny is rocking every time you shift into drive and reverse. He said after enough time the mount will wear a whole through the casing making a rebuild time plus a new case!

Last edited:
NVH is "Noise Vibration Harshness". I've heard of that trans wearing through, when I read about it I looked at mine, about 1/4 inch or so clearance above the frame.

... because the tranny is rocking every time you shift into drive and reverse. ...!
That's what made me suspicious of mine. When I put it in reverse, I heard a weird sound from the car (kinda like a metallic sound).

Back