• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Intermittent Wiper ...

vk med

CEG'er
Ok, I searched and nothing to be found. I had this problem a while back with my regular stalk with no speed control. So, I bought one with speed control and it still doesn't work on the intermittent setting.

Also, when I go to spray my windshield the wipers don't move, I need to move the wiper switch to work.

How do I fix this problem? :shrug:

Well welcome to CEG! I may not be the best one to offer you advice for that sort of thing, but Id suspect a blown fuse or possibly the wiring is hooked up wrong. Dont fret though! Tony should be around shortly - he'll have an autozone link for you with a solution! :laugh:

Well, for a broken wiper does it move at all? If not the fuse recomendation might not be a bad one, check both boxes to check for any fuses that may be blown, and replace. Something that's always happended to me, especially if it involves a power option on this car is that if it stopped working all of a sudden, check the fuse. I blew fuse 34 plenty of times all because of my stupid rear dome light as it was taken off from having my sunroof open all the time...

anyway, check for fuses is a start, wait for Tony, he's great with help (note to self...send Tony a bottle of something this holiday season)

.... I had this problem a while back with my regular stalk with no speed control. So, I bought one with speed control and it still doesn't work on the intermittent setting.

Also, when I go to spray my windshield the wipers don't move, I need to move the wiper switch to work.

How do I fix this problem?..
I suspect there is more to it than just a different wiper stalk for the intermittent setting. Maybe a relay and wiring.

As for the windshield wipers not moving 3 turns when the spray mode is used, once again, I suspect that has to do with a relay. Maybe a broken one.

Based on this, I would suggest checking the Relay 15 (in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery) first to see if it will solve both the issues.

What year, model and what engine?

Edit. Fuse Diagram
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=2518&highlight=fuse+diagram

Last edited:
... Dont fret though! Tony should be around shortly - he'll have an autozone link for you with a solution! :laugh:
:laugh: As requested, Autozone link with wiper motor and other information.:laugh:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1b/d0/3e/0900823d801bd03e.jsp

Edit. Also check the Central Timer located on the Passenger Compartment Fuse Box (left of steering column, under the dash, next to your left knee).

Central Timer location, 2nd picture, retangular looking box on Fuse Box, right of his left thumb.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1056473&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

From old Forums,

"The other problem was due to central timer unit. Sometimes the lights would go out and sometimes they would not. Performed the following test on the central timer unit and it failed. I have removed the "black box" until I get another from Bill Jenkins.

Testing this unit is as follows:

Testing and Inspection

INPUT TEST

Enter vehicle, latch safety belt, and close door.
Press and hold rear defroster switch.
Turn ignition switch to RUN, then release rear defroster switch.
The central timer module will actuate the chime each time one of the following inputs is actuated:
Driver's safety belt: unlatch, then relatch.
Illuminated entry actuator switch: lift and release outside door handle without opening door.
Rear window defroster switch: press, then release.
OUTPUT TEST

Enter vehicle, then press and hold rear window defroster switch.
Turn ignition switch to RUN.
Release rear window defroster switch.
Move windshield wiper switch to intermittent position, first detent position up from OFF.
Depress and release defroster switch to actuate outputs.
Depress and release defroster switch to deactivate outputs.
Outputs will activate in the following order:
Intermittent windshield wiper.
Rear window defroster indicator.
Interior lamps.
Safety belt warning indicator

Regards,
Bob" (btrautman)

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to say what model I have. I have a 98 LX, Zetec.
The wipers work, but the intermittent setting is the only one that doesn't. When I get home I will check the fuses. I also have this other problem that when I start my car it beeps a few times, then it will stop and will I'm driving it will do it again. I believe it does it for a period of 5 times then stops and starts again a few hours later. But this does occur everytime my car starts.

... I also have this other problem that when I start my car it beeps a few times, then it will stop and will I'm driving it will do it again. I believe it does it for a period of 5 times then stops and starts again a few hours later. But this does occur everytime my car starts.
Your airbag system has a problem and the airbag light is out. The next time it sounds, get the exact sequence of beeps. It could be beep, beep, beep, pause, beep, beep, (3-2 code) or something else. Then post the code here. Does your horn work? How about your cruise control? In addition, you need to replace the bulb.

Edit. Instrument Panel lights R&R in M&M howto.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=202

Airbag codes.
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=29

Last edited:
Haha, I went through this before. I don't remember exactly what I did, but it made it work. Search for this topic under the old forums... I think mainly in troubleshooting.

Your airbag system has a problem and the airbag light is out. The next time it sounds, get the exact sequence of beeps. It could be beep, beep, beep, pause, beep, beep, (3-2 code) or something else. Then post the code here. Does your horn work? How about your cruise control? In addition, you need to replace the bulb.

Edit. Instrument Panel lights R&R in M&M howto.
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=202

Airbag codes.
http://www.contour.org/FAQ/FAQ.php?s=probs&displayid=29

Actually my cruise control doesn't work :shrug:
I guess I'll check all my fuses first and I will listen to the exact sequence of beeps.

So I checked my fuses and they are all fine. How can I tell if it's the relay? Also, the beeps that I get that are for the airbag and 5 beeps and it repeats for a total of 5 times. Any ideas?

"How can I tell if it's the relay?"
Unplug it, put another one in,

"Also, the beeps that I get that are for the airbag and 5 beeps and it repeats for a total of 5 times. Any ideas?"
Is your airbag light out? Does the horn work? Are the sequence 5-0 pause 5-0 pause 5-0..... or shortpause3longpause2shortpause3longpause?

I had removed the light from my cluster, I just put it back and it remains lit now when I turn on my car, but the beeps are still there. The sequence is 5 beeps pause 5 beeps pause 5 beeps pause 5 beeps pause and 5 beeps.

My horn works fine, and the airbag light does not blink, just stays lit.
Does it still beep now?

Originally posted by GeoPappas:
The following is from the Ford TSP (Technical Service Publication):

Air Bag System Functions

* The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) illuminates the air bag warning indicator for approximately six seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN and then turns it off. This indicates that the air bag warning indicator is operational. If the air bag warning indicator does not illuminate or if the air bag warning indicator stays on or flashes at any time, a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.

* Diagnostic trouble codes may not be displayed for approximately 45 seconds after the ignition switch has been switched to RUN. This is the amount of time it takes the air bag diagnostic monitor to perform all tests and verify any system faults.

* Diagnostic trouble codes are displayed as a series of flashes and pauses of the air bag warning indicator. Each diagnostic trouble code, or series of flashes, represents a two- digit number. For example, a Diagnostic Trouble Code 32 is displayed as follows:

Flash flash flash - (one-second pause) - flash flash - (three-second pause)...

flash flash flash - (one-second pause) - flash flash - (three-second pause)...

* If a system fault exists and the air bag warning indicator is malfunctioning, an audible tone will be heard indicating the need for service. The tone is a series of five sets of five beeps. This DOES NOT indicate a diagnostic trouble code 55. It means that the air bag warning indicator is out and a system fault exists that requires service.

* If a fault exists that makes unwanted air bag deployment possible, the air bag diagnostic monitor has an internal thermal fuse that will blow automatically. This removes all power to the air bag deployment circuit. The air bag warning indicator will flash the appropriate code to indicate the suspect circuit. The thermal fuse does not blow because of excessive current flowing through it. DO NOT attempt to short circuit the thermal fuse with a circuit breaker of any other type of fuse.

The thermal fuse is controlled by the air bag diagnostic monitor and is not serviceable.

* Diagnostic trouble codes are prioritized numerically so that if two or more different faults occur at the same time, the fault having the highest priority will be displayed first. The highest priority fault will be displayed until it is corrected. After it has been corrected, the next highest priority fault will be displayed.

* WARNING: THE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT SERVICE IS PERFORMED. TO DEPLETE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE POSITIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

* Note: When the battery (10653) has been disconnected or reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 18 km (10 miles) or more to relearn the strategy.

The air bag diagnostic monitor includes an internal back-up power supply. This feature provides sufficient back-up power to deploy the air bags in the event that the battery or battery cables are damaged in a collision before the crash sensors close. The back-up power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after the positive battery cable is disconnected.

WARNING:
TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY THE AIR BAG SIMULATOR(S) MUST BE REMOVED AND THE AIR BAG(S) RECONNECTED BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS REACTIVATED.

It did beep and the light was on but I didn't let the car run. I will check it out and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

If your cruise control does not work, and the airbag light is on, I would say you have a bad clock spring. If the horn does not work also, that confirms it for sure.

EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited:
Back