• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stupid or smart? replaced waterpump before it broke.

stalkersvt

CEG'er
My car has 75k miles on it, and from what i have read on here, the v-6 WP break about 75k-80k. I replaced it as good measure, my mechanic friend thought i was stupid? Good idea or bad idea?

BTW old water pump looked ok when i took it off....

The way I see it, a waterpump is one of those things that you want to do before it goes -- just makes good sense. With the SHOs, we did them at 100K regardless. I just did the SVT waterpump a month back, and it was in fine shape. Its never bad to be ahead of the game. The verdict? Smart.

it can't hurt but if you a water pump with a white impellar it was the redesigned part and it doesn't fail like the black plastic kind ...

My car has 75k miles on it, and from what i have read on here, the v-6 WP break about 75k-80k. I replaced it as good measure, my mechanic friend thought i was stupid? Good idea or bad idea?

Would your mechanic friend also think you should wait for a timing belt to break instead of changing it before it breaks?

Would your mechanic friend also think you should wait for a timing belt to break instead of changing it before it breaks?

I'd assume so...

I'd also bet he's the kind of mechanic that wouldn't pay the little bit extra to put a new water pump in a 120K mile car, then is like :shrug: when the water pump goes out and he has to tear the front end of the engine apart again (of course, that's not a Duratec car, but anyway).

Personally I think it was a good idea. :)

I did the same thing when I got my SVT. I wasn't sure when the WP was changed (under recall) so I changed it out along with the belt and tensioner.
Before anyone says anything: yes, it was an updated WP on the car but I still was taking no chances. I didn't know what kind of mileage was on it so I changed it.

Preventive maintenance...it's a good thing, IMO.

Statistically predicted maintenance?

Statistically predicted maintenance?

Wouldnt this be Statistically predicted maintenance, lol

BTW it was the white impeller WP... but i think the 70$ was well worth the insurance of not blowing an engine or just simply getting stuck on the highway in 100 degree weather in the summer.

Last edited:
Wouldnt this be Statistically predicted maintenance, lol

BTW it was the white impeller WP... but i think the 70$ was well worth the insurance of not blowing an engine or just simply getting stuck on the highway in 100 degree weather in the summer.

well then it was a smart idea then :laugh:

Smart Idea. In fact I think it should be considered on all vehicles. After mine went and almost cost me my engine I am thinking of changing it on my other vehicle once I hit a threshold mileage.

What year contour and model SE, SVT etc ?

Last edited:
M black plastic impeller broke into two last week at 113K miles. I saw the temp gauge on the wrong side and pulled over. There was no indication prior to it breaking. It probably happened within one minute. I opened the hood and everything looked normal. Turned on the heat and only cool air came out. Definitely WP. I also replaced the thermostat and O-ring gasket while I had the hose out of the way. Thermostat and O-ring rubber gasket was fine and tested well in boiling water. I did not feel comfortable putting the old thermostat and old O-ring gasket back in. In addition, I also had new short screws which I installed rather than use the old ones.

Good idea replacing the waterpump . The stock wp's are ticking timebombs .
Really only the early ones with the black impellers. There's nothing wrong with the later ones with the white impellers unless the impeller cone comes adrift. Then it wouldn't matter if you had a metal impeller.
Karl

Quick question. When replacing the water pump (2000MY 2.5L Duratech), inside the chamber there is a conical metal disc that directs the flow from the impeller. Is that part a press fit attachment? When I pulled my pump off, it basically fell out. I was also replacing the pump as part of regular maintenance. I had absolutely no cooling or pump issues.

The Ford shop manual did not show any details that I could find. I just want to make sure I get it reassembled properly. Any help is appreciated.

Quick question. When replacing the water pump (2000MY 2.5L Duratech), inside the chamber there is a conical metal disc that directs the flow from the impeller. Is that part a press fit attachment? When I pulled my pump off, it basically fell out. I was also replacing the pump as part of regular maintenance. I had absolutely no cooling or pump issues.

The Ford shop manual did not show any details that I could find. I just want to make sure I get it reassembled properly. Any help is appreciated.
You may not have cooling issues if the cone is loose but it might start beatiing on the impeller which could lead to its early demise. AFAIK, the cone is attached by punch marks in the water pump housing. There have been posts about this before - probably in the archives. I suppose you could seal it on with a high temperature silicone cement that isn't bothered by coolant.
Karl

Back