• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

running rich anyway to fix it??

yamaha racer 686

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so my car spits black sut(sp) out the back. i read that it means its running rich. now i dont have any codes. the car is a se v6 with about 103,000 miles on it. as far sa i know all it has had is basic maintince. is there anyway to fix this?? i dont want the sut to ruin my new exhuast and tips

Time for the North East crew to rip into your car. :D

I don't bleed. OK, sometimes, but I'm not all worried about getting a band-aid or breaking a nail. No worries there. :)
We've never had pieces left over, we always find a use for them....somewhere. :laugh:

With the mileage on your car, it could use a good cleaning I'm sure.
That's what I meant by "Time for the North East crew to rip into your car", a thorough cleaning. I"m a pro at cleaning the UIM/LIM. :) I like to get dirty. ;)

You don't have a CEL do you?

I like to get dirty.

Gutter.jpg

The gutter again. :D :laugh:

Do you have any loss of power, hesitation?
Check the plugs and wires and see what shape they are in.

Go to Autozone or Advance. Scan for CEL codes, then post the exact codes.

He stated he didn't ahve any codes. My SVT is leaned out with an Apexi & it still throws soot out the back. Just a Contour thing. A tune up always helps though.

Unless you're getting abnormal gas mileage or smoke is coming out the exhaust, then it's probably nothing. SEs actually have a leaner fuel table than SVTs though of course you could lean it out some with apexi, xcal2, etc. you'd probably still have some blackness like todras said. Just about every car does it really.
Though if you haven't checked the plugs, cleaned the intake manifolds, etc. then you definitely should.
And something every duratec owner should do is check their secondary's linkage. The clip holding the rod in eventually breaks so your secondaries never open on one bank.

First off, lets establish what "running rich" really IS. You can't "know" you are running rich simply from soot out the back.

To really figure out if you are running rich you'd have to either dyno it, with a wideband A/F gauge telling you what you are running, or take it to a shop and have them look at your O2 sensors, and their sweep. Of course, you can do this, too, if you had the correct scanner, etc. Simply assuming that it IS, infact, rich because there is soot isn't really going to solve it, though. I suspect you aren't rich, but have your codes read even though there is no CEL present. There can be a pending code that hasn't triggered the light, yet.

ok thanks ill get it read becuase i need to find out why the abs light is on also. i just dont want black soot ruining my back bumper and exhuast tips. and i want the car to be running in good condition

I had a very similar problem on my 00' SVT. I replaced all of the O2 sensors and pulled the battery cables and turned the ignition to release the held electricity in the system and then hooked everything back up so the ECU would start a new and it made a world of difrence. The O2s' are rated for 80-100k and my parents had an excusion that had bad O2s' at 40k, so it's worth the hassle. Hope this helps

Heres my story. Mystique was running rich, black smoke at warm startup, horrible gas mileage. Couple codes that I cant remember. Did tune up: plugs,wires(motorcraft). New IAC,ETC,Oxygen sensors,and so on. Cleaned UIM/LIM and replaced gaskets. I Managed to brake off one of the UIM bolts. Anyways STILL had the same runnin' rich issue. So I figured I better dig into it again and fix that ****** bolt that snapped off in the LIM. I found a UIM/LIM w/fuel rail, injectors,regulator, and a bag of bolts off a Cougar on Ebay for $50.00 plus shipping. I swapped out most of the parts and it fixed the problem. Im thinking I either had a leaky injector or it was the fuel pressure regulator:shrug: . 1 yr. later and she still runs like new at 135,000 miles.

Back