• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to paint the car!

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys I asked Maaco how much it is to paint my CSVT! They told me it somewhere around 500 bucks for sand down, 2 coats and one coat of a mixture of a paint/clear. Now i was like ok i guess the winter comes and my paint hits the floor???? now they also have a "STAGE 2" which includes, 3 coats of paint & 2 coats of clear coat for about 1000! i was thinking this was more like it, but im not sure and this is not my field. Ive seen some of Maaco's work and it looks good, but what happens down the line is it worth it!

Ne one ever get a paint job from Maaco and like or dislike it. Thanks Guys!

ihmo its not worth it, I did see one macco paint job but 90% of the prep was done before they got the car ... you get what you pay for ...

you need to ask yourself some questions ... first how much are you in love with your car? next how long will you keep the car?

if you don't love your car and don't plan to keep it for a long, long time then a macco paint job will work for you .... if you love your car and want to keep it a long time I suggest finding a shop that does restoration work over collistion work ... but the price tag will be very high ....

remember you get what you pay for ...

this was a 4K price tag for the exterior to be pained and the pictures don't do it justice ...

DSC03156.JPG

DSC03216.JPG

Where to paint the car?

On the outside of it, DUH!!!
Seriously, though, I agree with BrApple. You truly DO get what you pay for with paint. if you can't fathom spending $1000-1500 on a paint job, wait a while. If you are just trying to make it look "good" so you can sell it, then sure, a Maaco job is fine., but I wouldn't waste my money at Maaco on something that I was keeping!

Maaco is good to paint to sell, but if you plan to keep the car, you'll be banging your head because it's no good. Find a body shop, or somewhere that does good paintwork, which is not maaco. You get what you pay for, but if you do enough hunting around you'll find a good place with fair pricing. I'm getting a great deal for what i'm doing, and it'll cost less than brapple's :laugh:

hold up brapple told me his car was a factory color

it is a factory color, which was only available on all models but the SVT ... other then that I am alittle lost where that comes into this thread? I did have the whole exterior painted ...

Well,

I did get my car painted at Maaco and as Brapple said before about 90% of the prep work was done before hand by myself. I actually went in and had the owner give me a tour of the shop and show me some of the work. It looked just as good as the more expensive paint jobs.
Although, they are right, you do get what u pay for, but i also got the highest tier paint job. The reason they can get it so cheap is first, they don't use the factory grade paint, they use a sherwin williams paint that they mix themselves. They also have a high turn around rate which makes there costs low and then they charge you less. They are also franchised whereas most shops are one offs and can(have to) charge more.

My paint job came out great, check out my sight. I have no complaints. It survived a rough winter. There is one crack in the paint, but it was my fault b/c i slammed the trunk down on the body kit, it flexed and a little crack appeared.

But like they said earlier, you get what you pay for, and I was very adament and anal on how they did it. Oh, i also got like 5 quotes, so go shopping around and ask questions!

Back