• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stereo Static

Necronommicon

CEG'er
Ok, so I just bought a '98 CSVT other than needing and alignment and an A/C charge everything but the radio is good. Some one has installed an Alpine H/U and all I get from the normal radio is static. The antenna goes up and down but its not picking up any stations. I don't know anything about radios and I am also still new to this car and don't really want to rip it apart yet if I can avoid it, however I'm also cheap and don't want to pay someone to fix this for me. So is there just a loose wire perhaps?

How do I go about pulling the H/U?

Step 1.. remove face plate
step 2.. remove trim ring
DSC05279.jpg

Step 3.. see the spring loaded pins. (one on each side of the radio) They are in the down position locking the radio into the cage. sorry, dark garage=crappy photos
DSC05284.jpg

Step 4.. use any flat object to simply move the pin up (im using a butter knife). While doing so pull on the radio and it will come unlocked
DSC05286.jpg

Here is a helpfull hint, there is a hole underneith the radio. I dont know why its there but sometimes its hard to get a hold of the radio to pull it out. Stick a finger up in the hole and you will feel the bottom of the radio, use your finger to help push the radio out while it is unlocked.
DSC05287.jpg

Ok, I tried everything that you guys said. One problem the chord that looks like it would be the antenna has a square peg, the radio has a round hole, so I don't know what to do now. Also there is a wire coming form what i believe to be the stock harness it's blue with a white stripe, there is a wire same color coming from the radio but they are not connected to each other or anything else I tired connecting them but saw no difference. Is there an adapter I can buy for the antenna and should I connect the blue/white stripe wires together?

Last edited:
Ok, I tried everything that you guys said. One problem the chord that looks like it would be the antenna has a square peg, the radio has a round hole, so I don't know what to do now. Also there is a wire coming form what i believe to be the stock harness it's blue with a white stripe, there is a wire same color coming from the radio but they are not connected to each other or anything else I tired connecting them but saw no difference. Is there an adapter I can buy for the antenna and should I connect the blue/white stripe wires together?

Hmm, square peg round hole huh? We all know from pre-school that can't work. (unless you have a really big hammer). Are you able to take any photos of this?
My SVT is on the side of the road by my father in laws house for sale and I put the stereo back to stock so I can't show examples.

If I remember correctly from when I installed my CD Player, the blue/white wire is for AMP remote. If you do not have an AMP, don't worry about this wire. There shouldn't be an reason to need an antenna adapter. unless some one replaced the antenna and ran new antenna wire to the HU.

Heres the H/U I have
dsc02202.jpg

The Wire (what I believe to be the stock antenna wire)
dsc02199.jpg

What I need for the antenna to work
dsc02197.jpg

and two little wires that aren't connected to anything a blue with white stripe and a pink one I don't remember if it has a stripe or not.
dsc02200.jpg

They may not be connected if the factory amp has been bypassed, all the blue with white should do is turn on the factory amp, the solid blue should be your power antenna, a picture of this square plug would be appreciated. The only square plug I know of is the one for the factory amp, you may need to dig further, the antenna may have fallen back in the dash....

So the square plug in the picture isn't for the antenna? also does the whit/blue wire NEED to be connected? Also what the heck is the pink wire for? (are you guys able to see my pics?)

Back